Which lens for video???

Lscha

Can someone advise me as to what lens I should use? I will be using video from a blind where the subject(s) will be 20 yards or less. Conditions will be daylight until dusk. I'm not in a position to buy a new lens at this time. I have an 18-55mm, 55-300mm, 12-24mm, and a 35mm prime. Which one (or two)? Thanks!

Michael J.

On my D5100 I used my 18-55mm with great results, Why I used it cos I was able to zoom to the subject. I used the 50mm as well was great too but came back to the 18-55mm.

Now that I have a bit experience. I use different lenses and put th eclips after togehther.

Novies shot mainly at family events.

FastGlass

Boy tough question. I guess it depends on what you're shooting, how much of it you want to see and is the subject moving? Among the four lenses I would choose the 55-300 and the 18-55. They should cover everything except the 55-300 isn't that fast of a lense.

Lscha

Hope to video some wildlife. (bear). The ground blind will be dark inside. Camera will be aimed out the window and subjects won't be more than 20 yards away.

Lscha

So would I shoot on 55mm and zoom in processing? Or do I have to keep manually focusing? Or do I let it auto-focus?

Are you going to actively shoot the video or set it up and let it run? Also remember you have a limited time on video clips. Whichever lens you use I would preset the focus and leave it on manual. You can use the hyper-focal distance and that will give you your best chance. There are guides that will tell you how to set the depending on Aperture and focal length of the lens.

Lscha

I plan to actively shoot but may have to let it go on it's own at some point.;) I have practiced setting it up and actually changing some settings while in movie mode. I am using a 64 GB in the first slot (5+ hours) and a 32 GB in the second spot. At 20 minutes per session, my battery lasted for 2 hours. I'll take both batteries. I won't need all that space or time but it's nice to know it is there.

Dennis Kussener

There isn't posted for a month in the topic, but I wanna answer anyway :p
I'ts all about you're personal preferences. the kit 18-55mm and 35mm prime would be my chose for a ocasionally video. the wide angle 12-24 can give you some intresting perspectives, but not for all the time.
That said Iwould use a tripod wen you decide too use the 50-300 tele. otherwise you're video will become too shaky.

greets