Memory Card Slots

Lauramacky

I am so perplexed about the memory slots and buffer on the D7100. I upgraded from a D3000 which did not have the card slots. I understand about setting the role of the second card which I assigned as overflow. But what I don't understand is why when I reformat the card, the camera still shows pictures when i press the play button. My sense is they may not be on the card but in the camera buffer, and I'm not understanding why the pictures don't go to the second card as I indicated in the menu. In fact, this has caused me problems since I shoot in raw...one time it said card full even though I reformatted it. i am so confused about this. I can calculate equivalent exposures but I can't figure out this card system! LOL

Also, i noticed in each card slot there are folder numbers. Could it get any more confusing? At least imho. Is that true or am I missing something. My assumption is that each card can have multiple folders. What if I don't want folders. i just want card slots period? I know I've accidentally hit those folder numbers and I have no idea if there are pictures in there or not. The manual does not give me the answers to my questions as most manuals do not, lol.

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to operate these card slots, delete pictures when i'm done uploading and make sure the cards and buffer are completely empty? It might be a tall order here in the forum, but I sure would appreciate the help.

yauman

I just got a D7100 and have tested the card slots used as Backup and as Overflow and they seem to work fine as stated in their respective modes. Make sure you format both card - and format them on the camera - do not ever format the cards in your computer as it will not be reliably be read by the camera. The cards have to be formated separately. When inserting the cards in their slots, make sure you did not inadvertently slide the write protect tab to "write protect" mode.

As for the folders and numbering scheme, I thought all Nikon cameras use the same scheme. My old D60 and D90 had the same folder naming scheme as this D7100. You can change the individual file numbering sequence (see page 240 in the D7100 manual.)

FastGlass

First thing is are you formatting in your camera? Second, if your using ( accidently or not) folders. Because if you try and delete photos on the card, its only going to delete what folder is chosen. I like folders because if your doing a shoot about this or that, name it. That way when you try to export to a hard drive you can specify which folder to export rather than highlight the actual pics. #1 card slot will allways be the priority card. I don't think you can write directly to #2 and scip #1 altogether. And no there are no photos stored in the buffer. They are stored there only until the camera can write them to the card. Which only takes a couple seconds. And make sure that both cards are formated because if card #2 has photos on it and card #1 does not. When you press the play button the photos on card #2 will appear.

FastGlass

Also I forgot to mention. This is sorta a seperate issue. I like to turn on File number sequence. When turned on the file numbers increase by 1 even after a card has been formatted. That way you don't have 4 photos with the same #0001. It will continue to count up untill the file number reaches 9999 and then back to 0001. Hope this helps.

Horoscope Fish

I am so perplexed about the memory slots and buffer on the D7100. I upgraded from a D3000 which did not have the card slots. I understand about setting the role of the second card which I assigned as overflow. But what I don't understand is why when I reformat the card, the camera still shows pictures when i press the play button. My sense is they may not be on the card but in the camera buffer, and I'm not understanding why the pictures don't go to the second card as I indicated in the menu. In fact, this has caused me problems since I shoot in raw...one time it said card full even though I reformatted it. i am so confused about this. I can calculate equivalent exposures but I can't figure out this card system! LOL

Also, i noticed in each card slot there are folder numbers. Could it get any more confusing? At least imho. Is that true or am I missing something. My assumption is that each card can have multiple folders. What if I don't want folders. i just want card slots period? I know I've accidentally hit those folder numbers and I have no idea if there are pictures in there or not. The manual does not give me the answers to my questions as most manuals do not, lol.

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to operate these card slots, delete pictures when i'm done uploading and make sure the cards and buffer are completely empty? It might be a tall order here in the forum, but I sure would appreciate the help.

Card Slot #1
: This is your default destination for pictures and this can not be changed. You will have folders here, that can not be changed. You can use Slot 1 for whatever you want (RAW, JPG, RAW + JPG) but you must use it.

Card Slot #2: This slot is optional. It can be your "over flow" card for when the card in Slot 1 gets full, or the slot you send JPG's to when shooing RAW + JPG or you can leave it empty and not use it at all; up to you. If you select it as the destination folder for JPG's when shooing RAW + JPG you will have two copies of each shot that will need to be deleted should want to dump that shot, the RAW file will be saved on the card in Slot 1 and the JPG on the card in Slot 2. The card in Slot 2, like the card in Slot 1, will have folders because the camera does not see the card as a "root" directory, it needs a folder as a logical destination.

Lauramacky

Thanks for these explanations. I haven't had time to check this out but will be doing so in the next couple days. I've been kinda swamped. Someone above said am I formatting the camera. That's a good question! I am really perplexed as to how to even check that. And these folders, personally, I wish I could just turn them off. lol Thanks again and I will be testing the suggestions soon!

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for these explanations. I haven't had time to check this out but will be doing so in the next couple days. I've been kinda swamped. Someone above said am I formatting the camera. That's a good question! I am really perplexed as to how to even check that. And these folders, personally, I wish I could just turn them off. lol Thanks again and I will be testing the suggestions soon!
To format the cards in-camera (and this is the only way you should format your cards) you simply press the Menu button, drop down to your "Setup Menu" (the wrench icon) and then select "Format Memory Card". You'll need to format both cards individually. It's also a good idea to format your memory cards on a regular basis. If you're done with the pictures on the card, format it. This will help prevent corruption on the card over the long term. I said, "help"... Not totally prevent. It's just a good habit to be in, formatting your cards from time to time.

The folders on the cards are a necessary evil, I'm afraid. I'm right there with you, though; I think they suck too. Still, they're required because the software in your camera needs them to keep it (meaning the software itself) on-track and organized with what it's doing with your pictures. Without those folders all hell would break loose.

The only work around I can think of would be to use a software application to import the photo's instead of removing the card and doing a manual Copy/Pasta operation. I have Photoshop and use Bridge for that, but I'm sure there are other free, or at least cheaper, applications that would work on your Mac; I'm just not a Mac-sorta guy so I don't know what they are. Hope that helps. If it doesn't try a 12 year old Scotch. I find a 12 year old Scotch helps with... Well... Just about everything.

Last edited:

Lauramacky

Hi everyone. I'm finally able to look at these posts and my camera. We were away for several days and I couldn't respond. Thank god. I think I finally understand this. I have a feeling Fish, that Slot 2 card was not formatted which was causing me great confusion. And thank you for explaining the best way to format the cards. My D3000 did not have folders Yauman....it was a very basic camera. I'm excited though! We just went to Napa for a balloon ride for my husband's birthday and I think the photos came out pretty cool! I started using the wide angle on the ground and changed over to an 18-200mm in the air. Check 'em out! They're on the first page under "recent photos" Laura Macky Photography. Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the help.

Patrick M

Depends on what I'm shooting.

For speed, I use #2 as overflow and switch quality to JPEG. Then all my shots just go to #1.

For normal shots, I'll set #1 to RAW and stick an Eye-Fi card in #2 set to JPEG. That enables me to see the shot on my iPad immediately, and I can recompose if needs must.