Anyone using NX2 for post processing ?

GabiBass

I am new to Nikon and this site. I started taking pictures with my D90 this summer. I have only invested in NX2 and other NIK software for post processing. I started with this because it gave the free trials. I tried to download the free trials of PS/Adobe, but was unsuccessful. I took that as a sign. I hear everyone uses Photoshop, but I'd rather spend $700 on another lens.

I do mostly portraits, seniors, couples. I would eventually like to do weddings (I think)

Is anyone else just using View/NX2/NIK software ?

Ruidoso Bill

I haven't used any of those for a long time. I am hooked on Lightroom and I use Corel. I think my lightroom was under $100, I'd rather buy lenses also.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I do mostly portraits, seniors, couples. I would eventually like to do weddings (I think)

If you're doing serious portrait work, I would recommend some serious post-processing software. Get something that gives you the results you want, learn it well, and stick with it.

I use Lightroom first (also great for workflow and cataloguing). . . all my cropping, adjustments, etc. In depth stuff, I go to photoshop (works seamlessly with lightroom) and enhanced "tweaking" with NIK photoshop plug-ins. Because I often process 300-500 photos at a time, I need to be able to move through them quickly and get the results I want.

As much as I want to buy more lenses, I know that good software is an important part of the photographer's toolkit. So I just bite the bullet because I know that the software will make my studio portraits stand out from the "average joe's"

Below is a portrait I processed in lightroom and photoshop.

Best Regards

Img4132355cc-Edit.jpg

GabiBass

I'm dreading learning PS. Layers and all. I would love to sit and watch someone work with the software editing photos since I'm a visual learner....that would help me decide what I need to do. Money is not an issue, however I can't get past the initial price tag which is equivalent to the little red bottom shoes I love..!..and then I don't even know how to use it !

I thought I saw on some website that if you were a student you could get it for way less than full price .. ? Anyone know about this ?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, GabiBass

Do a google search for either software and then look for the academic pricing. You don't have to get it through adobe.
Also if you check out NAPP they have a lot of resources such as tutorials for photoshop and lightroom users whether you join their organization or not. I'm a member and when I get stuck, I send an email and get a quick response.

I'm sure other member will chime in with their favorites and why. I'm just sharing what works for me and why.
If you're "dreading" working with layers in photoshop, don't get it because you'll probably never get around to using it. By all means, don't buy until you try. I even use that philosophy for lenses, too.

Good luck in your search!

Fen

Have a look at Photoshop Elements as well. It's basically a cut down version of the full Photoshop, but will have all the tools you need.

fotojack

I use Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 and Lightroom 3.2. Waaaay cheaper than Photoshop! Easier to learn, too, and I'm also a visual learner. Do a Google on these programs.
Sometimes I even use View NX2, though not very often. I find PSP X# much easier to use. I think it's around $70.

GabiBass

Guten Morgen everyone !

Thanks so much for all the input !

I am more clear about the software I want to learn/buy after reading an article by Richard Lynch. Based on my current needs, I really don't need anything as powerful as CS5, so I will probably buy Photoshop Elements 9.

I also went to the website and looked at the 'explore what you can do' videos.

Currently, NX2 is very slow and lags when editing. The funny thing is the trial version didn't do this, but when I purchase the most recent version, this is when I noticed it slowed down and lagged in updating the edits. A time or two it shut down and loads slowly. Could this be because I need to upgrade my equipment ?

My laptop is currently running Windows Vista Home Premium Ver 6.0 Service Pack 1

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I currently also have windows vista home premium . . . but the service pack was updated to 2. That might be your problem.

GabiBass

Thanks for mentioning Photoshop Elements. I will be purchasing it this month ! It has all the features I want and more like, watermarking, rounding corners, content aware, etc..and I will be able to use my NIK filters with it as well !

Fen

Forgot to say...

Before you purchase it... I think there is a 30 day trial you can download. That way you get to see what it's all about beforehand :)

whoelius

Capture NX2 is terrific... if you have a terrific machine. And, actually, even then it is buggy and crashes on occasion. For me, it's worth it. NEF processing is better in NX2 than with any other program, in my opinion. If I need layers, Photoshop comes to the rescue but until then, the NX2 interface wins.

You did mention "laptop" and "Vista"... From that I might dare to guess you have a relatively "old" (like more than 10 minutes) computer which is likely to run quite slowly with any RAW editor. Can you tell us what your Windows Experience Index scores are?

And I agree with FEN. Make use of a trial period!

johnwartjr

Hardware is more important than OS.

Based on the fact that you mention a laptop with Vista, I'm guessing a single or dual core processor, 2 GB of RAM or less, and probably a 5400 RPM drive. Means your editing efforts are going to run a little slow regardless of what tool you use. My desktop is twice as old as that, but has adequate RAM and fast disk - and it's kinda slow compared to my modern laptop. But, don't make that your limiting factor. You can do certain things like make sure you have 25% free disk space, clear out temp files, run scandisk, run defrag, make sure your OS is updated with patches and service packs etc and that should speed things up a bit. None of that will cost a thing. If you'd like some more detailed pointers in this arena, just ask.

Regarding NX2, can anyone give me any reasons why I might consider adding it to my normal workflow? I do 99.5% of everything in LR3, then move to CS5 on the rare occasion I need it. I know there's lots more to learn on CS5, and I'm gonna get there, but I just don't use it much right now. When I do use it, or learn something new, I am always amazed at the power - but I wouldn't use a sledgehammer to hang an 8x10 on the wall :) I hope to take a class or two in photoshop at some point. Just a matter of time and money!

Academic software licensing can be a better deal than the prices mentioned as well - a friend is a student at Indiana University, and he got his CS5 for *free* downloaded off the school's network - IU has such an agreement with Adobe. He could've gone to his bookstore and got the full CS5 suite - the 'Master Collection' - for $50 - this is normally a $2500+ purchase from Adobe!

Keep in mind, the agreement with Adobe is that you will actually pay for the software when you are no longer a student - the academic licensing is for use while you're a student.

whoelius

Regarding NX2, can anyone give me any reasons why I might consider adding it to my normal workflow? I do 99.5% of everything in LR3, then move to CS5 on the rare occasion I need it.

Honestly, despite being in this love affair with NX2, I'd guess no. But I think the trial period for it is still 60 days... You too may find the interface more pleasing than that of CS5. I have no issues with workflow efficiency of NX2. Batch processing works nicely, (though a little slower than with Photoshop).

One thing I will point out - noise reduction software. Noise reduction is pretty crappy in NX2. The Photoshop plug-in, Topaz DeNoise, is marvellous.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Regarding NX2, can anyone give me any reasons why I might consider adding it to my normal workflow? I do 99.5% of everything in LR3, then move to CS5 on the rare occasion I need it.

John, I post process exactly like you. I keep NX2 around for my abnormal workflow. I love my 50/1.4 (and 1.8 before it) for low light but the CA can be a bear to deal with. I've found nothing beats NX2.