using old af lenses on d3200

nadia_m87

I have a d3200 and use 18-105mm af-s lens. my Dad has gone through d200, 400 and now is on the 800. he has multiple lenses etc. is there ANYTHING that is out there or that is being created to adapt an af lens to the non motorized cameras to make them af? that might sound confusing but i'm just looking for an adapter that will allow me to use his lenses and auto focus instead of manual focusing.
i specifically want the 50mm 1.8 but when i manually focus it never seems to be where i want it to be.

nadia_m87

it doesnt seem to be i dont think, when i use 18-105 seems great (i have 20/20 vision). but any suggestions on a test for accuracy on the 50 af lens?

JudeIscariot

There is no adapter that I know of. Having a D3000 for many years now, I always wanted one. Several months ago I did find a way to use a nice older lens of mine with a modern DSLR: I bought a D300. That's pretty much the only way - get a higher end DSLR that has the AF motor built-in. Sorry!

andybebbs

I had the same problem with a 80-400mm af lens my brother lent me to use on my d3200 and i`m afraid it only works in manual focus and one of the reasons i upgraded to a d7000 so i can use older af lens.
Thanks
Andy

kirbfucius

Yep, gotta use a higher end camera. The D7000 would be my suggestion, but I could be biased since that's exactly what I did, went from a D3100 to 5100 to 7000. The nice thing about the D7100 coming out is that it dropped used D7000 prices quite a bit so deals are much more plentiful than they were.

nickt

If there were an adapter, it would be an engineering marvel. You can't mess with the distance between the lens and the sensor. The adapter would become an extension tube and you would gain close focus and likely lose your ability to focus on infinity.

jwstl

Nikon did make a teleconverter that added autofocus to manual lenses...TC-16 I believe. I don't think it works on modern bodies without some modifications.