Maternity indoors Photo shoot light setup

gerfoto

Hello,

I would like to know an inexpensive light kit solution to take maternity pictures indoors.

Would i need to backdrop ?

I have a D600, D7001 and a D90.

I am a beginner with lights technology.

Thanks for your help,

Kodiak

Hey namerg,

Basically, you do not need anything you haven't got already I shall presume:
a space, one to three lamps of the same type and… the most important: the belly!
The gear you have and the purpose as well. All you really need is the intuition…!

Before you start shooting, think of what and how you want to render your photos.
Imagine the final shot… the more precision you bring to the idea, the easier it will
be to setup! Be on the simpler side of life, since this is where prime beauty resides!
Try one light source, get it right… maybe in counter-light! If necessary us a second
one to add accents or else. If a light is too strong, back it off a tad (square law!)

When my first son was not yet born, I shot the belly with 2 Luxor lamps with 60w
incandescent bulbs in them in our living room, beside my 160 m2 studio full of gear!

The best B&W, as well as full colour picts, always start with proper white balance.

Have a good time!

Last edited:

gerfoto

@Carguy: thanks so much for the links. Very useful. One last question, do you know if the Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash with the D600, D7001, D90 ?

Last edited:

gerfoto

@Kodiak: Thanks for your wisdom. This is the the tricky part. You know your living room and you know what you have. I will be on an apartment and the couple: guy is black and wife is white. i feel kind of blind right now. Should i bring a backdrop with me ? Or I let my creativity and imagination to be part of it.

Kodiak

@Kodiak: Thanks for your wisdom.
Most welcomed!

This is the the tricky part. You know your living room and you know what you have.
Nevertheless, it is still a living room! And what will you find in an other living-room? If they
have a bigger TV screen is of no interest or what?

I will be on an apartment and the couple: guy is black and wife is white.
Like I said, stay on the simpler side of life…
Just right there, imagine the darker skin tone of his hands on her white belly!
Perfect setup
for B&W. Literally!

i feel kind of blind right now. Should i bring a backdrop with me ?
What for? To make your life miserable? If you stay away from any wall, say 3 to 5 feet, you will
have a perfect black background even if the wall is pearl white! Keep an eye on light spills though…

Or I let my creativity and imagination to be part of it.
YES! YES! YES!
That's what I'm talking about…

​Have a good time!

Last edited:

carguy

@Carguy: thanks so much for the links. Very useful. One last question, do you know if the Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash with the D600, D7001, D90 ?
It appears you already have an SB-700 right? That will do the trick. If you are interested in a second speedlite, Yongnuo flashes do a great job. Many people use them without issue.