Refurb D600 with 24-85mm for under $1900!!

Sounds like a great deal but .... is the Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S VR Lens a real good lens?
I have never used this lens before and was wondering about it. I see on Amazon it lists for right at $600.

BackdoorArts

I got one with my D600 and it lives on that camera. Is it as good as the 24-70mm f2.8? No. But I would posit that unless you're shooting wide open and comparing bokeh you'd be hard pressed to tell if a photo was taken with the kit lens or a trinitarian. Look through my photo thread or go to my Flickr account and look at the D600 and D800 photos - a huge percentage are taken with the lens. I love it and have no desire or need to go out and purchase the more expensive replacement - I'll use a prime if I want pretty bokeh (not that it's bad with the zoom).

Fred Kingston

Not that there's anything wrong with the Adorama deal... there are plenty of Refurb D600s all over... What I have seen (I hate this thread because I'm feeling compelled to jump on a D600) is that there are a few reputable (at least 1) dealer that is offering a 6 month warranty instead of the standard 90 day warranty on the refurb...

jwstl

This begs the question, what is the full Nikon warranty worth to you? 10%, 20%, 30%? This package is available new for roughly $500 more thanks to the $300 instant savings. So with this deal you give up having new gear and the Nikon warranty for a little better than 20% savings. I'm not saying it's a bad deal I'm just curious how much of a savings it needs to be to make refurbs worthwhile. I've been looking at the D600 as a companion to my D800 but I can't decide if the 20%+ savings is worth it.

BackdoorArts

Not that there's anything wrong with the Adorama deal... there are plenty of Refurb D600s all over... What I have seen (I hate this thread because I'm feeling compelled to jump on a D600) is that there are a few reputable (at least 1) dealer that is offering a 6 month warranty instead of the standard 90 day warranty on the refurb...

Yes, but not with this lens. What I'm unclear on is if the lens is a throw-in or also a refurb. I got my package last year new for $1998 with the intention of possibly selling the lens and upgrading, but as I said, I love this lens.

For me, with Adorama I'd get 15 months (90 days plus the VIP plan year)plus an additional year from my credit card company. Nikon warranties the refurb for 90 days, and many dealers will extend it to varying lengths, as you note. You're always better going with dealers you trust and have heard positive reports from, and Adorama is one I'd put in that category.

As for the question of how much a Nikon warranty is worth, that really depends. In the case of the D600, with it's shutter issues, I'm very happy to have had the full warranty. As I mentioned, my credit card company adds a full year to any manufacturer warranty, so I would have no issue rolling the dice on the refurb/lens combo, particularly given that on the refurb the dust issue is likely resolved. But everyone is different. For me, there are certain things I prefer to buy new or "as new", and camera bodies are in that list. Lenses, not so much, provided I can buy in person.

Mfrankfort

If I didn't have one.. I'd get it. I also use that lens for pretty much everything. Well.. I guess cause I only have 3. haha. But great camera/lens, and way better deal than I paid.. lol

Fred Kingston

riverside

Yes, but not with this lens. What I'm unclear on is if the lens is a throw-in or also a refurb.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d600/14931-refurb-d600-24-85mm-under-$1900.html#ixzz2ZXq24FXk[
/QUOTE]

The lens is a refurb in it's own packaging... as is the camera... The camera is in a Nikon Refurb box, and the lens came in a separate plain cardboard box... Both came with a single page 90 day warranty... with the product's serial numbers hand written in...

:)

Join the Adorama VIP club for $7.95 and they tack an additional one year warranty on all your purchases other than used equipment.