If you worked for CSI...

Browncoat

What kind of photo gear would you want?

Backstory: I work for a company that sells technology products. My accounts are all in the public sector. Schools, gov't agencies, etc. I have a sheriff's office that has a CSI department who is in the market for some new photo gear.

Try not to compile a "dream list" of photo gear if you had an unlimited budget. I don't have a specified spending limit (yet), so try to keep it within manageable means. Be smart and practical. What kind of gear would these guys need in the field to do their jobs?

Last edited:

LensWork

In terms of camera bodies, those models which are compatible with Nikon's Image Authentication Software is a prerequisite in many jurisdictions for digital images to be admissible in court. This then limits the choices to the D3, D3s, D3X, D300s or D700. Micro lenses and ring flashes are standard equipment for CSI work.

Ruidoso Bill

D700’s

14-24 mm 2.8 AFS

105 mm 2.8 macro

70-200 mm VR

SB-900 Flashes

As many of these kits as required. Of course don't forget extra batteries etc.

ohkphoto

Snow White
What about a ringflash since it doesn't leave shadows (as opposed to an on camera flash). I also wonder if voice recording capability would be helpful.
(I'll have to watch NCIS more closely tonight!)

Best Regards

fotojack

Every time I watch NCIS, and they're at a crime scene taking pictures, I notice they're using a Nikon D200. :) Works for me! :) lol

LensWork

Just watching tonight's episode of CSI NY and saw something interesting: CSI Jo Danville (Sela Ward) was shooting with an F4 with an F5 neck strap on it??????????

Not really pertinent to the topic, just interesting.

Browncoat

Update:

Began working on this project today. The department is currently using Nikon D100 units and would like upgrades that can possibly use the same lenses that they currently have. Thoughts?