First FX Camera!

ryanp

Hi all, just wanted to share; made my first DSLR purchase a year ago with a D3200 and felt ready to take the step up and stretch myself.
Looked through the relevant options (D7000, D7100, D600, D3) and realised the D700 was the one for me because of low light performance and build quality.

After a week or so of scouring eBay finally found one in absolutely mint condition (and I mean, not one single mark) with 2,615 shutter actuations for £950 (approx $1,400).

I'm over the moon, only thing is, have only purchased the 50mm 1.8D to start and that doesn't arrive for a couple of days so at the moment having to test the D700 out with the DX lenses I have (35 1.8g and 16-85 VR).

Stunned at the quality and low light performance, definitely made the right choice. Didn't realise how compact the D3200 was until I sat it next to the D700.

Just have to figure out what lens I need next. Looking at a suitable mid range zoom probably, perhaps the Tamron 24-70? Haven't got a huge budget.

Anyway, looking forward to going full frame!

Best regards to you all,

​Ryan

Mycenius

Congrats Ryan, nothing like buying some new gear and being over joyed with it once in your hands! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanp

cheers both, just popped home and the lens had been delivered, took 10 or so snaps and now back in work, gutted.

Still, they looked brilliant, can't wait to play some more.

Gut reaction, will definitely need a wider lens!

fotojack

Congrats on your "new" D700. Great camera. I'm sure you're going to really enjoy it. :) The 28-70 2.8 sounds like a good one to start with.

ryanp

again, cheers all.

Couldn't put it down last night. It came with a "magic lantern" guide which is approx 2" thick so am slowly going through that too as well as the standard instruction book!

Cheers for the advice on the lens, will definitely make that a purchase sooner rather than later.

I just can't get over the low light performance. I was taking shots at 3200 ISO and they still looked so clean. Obviously there were slight (and I mean very slight) hints of noise but compared to the D3200 (which in itself is a fantastic camera) it's miles apart.

Epoc

Welcome to the club! I love my D700. Built like a tank. Great AF. Fast fps. I've got very good results at 6400. You will love it :)

Edit: if your looking for a mid range zoom on a budget, look at the 24-85VR. It works extremely well on the 700.

Last edited:

ryanp

thanks Epoc, I've looked at countless lenses now!

the 24-85 is a good option, I do a lot of indoor shooting though and although it has the VR, am left wanting a 2.8. Perhaps my bets bet is to just get 2 more primes, a 24mm and an 85mm to go with my 50.

I don't know. At this stage I'm just having fun being creative with the 50 and working for my shots!

johncook

Excellent choice of camera.

i got a mint tamron 28-75 2.8 lens for £250 on ebay and its a terrific lens, especially if your on a budget

efortysixm

Hi all, just wanted to share; made my first DSLR purchase a year ago with a D3200 and felt ready to take the step up and stretch myself.
Looked through the relevant options (D7000, D7100, D600, D3) and realised the D700 was the one for me because of low light performance and build quality.

After a week or so of scouring eBay finally found one in absolutely mint condition (and I mean, not one single mark) with 2,615 shutter actuations for £950 (approx $1,400).

I'm over the moon, only thing is, have only purchased the 50mm 1.8D to start and that doesn't arrive for a couple of days so at the moment having to test the D700 out with the DX lenses I have (35 1.8g and 16-85 VR).

Stunned at the quality and low light performance, definitely made the right choice. Didn't realise how compact the D3200 was until I sat it next to the D700.

Just have to figure out what lens I need next. Looking at a suitable mid range zoom probably, perhaps the Tamron 24-70? Haven't got a huge budget.

Anyway, looking forward to going full frame!

Best regards to you all,

​Ryan

Congrats on your D700 Ryan!

I'm right there with you. Just purchased my "new" D700 this past month and have had a blast with it! I've been using the 50mm 1.4D with it and the responsiveness of the camera is just great. I'm also in the same boat as you when it comes to deciding what class to pick up next, I've been scouring the forums and online and have just pulled the trigger on the 28-70mm 2.8. I'll let you know how it works out for me and hopefully give you on some insight on what glass you want to purchase next.

​Good Luck!

ryanp

I found an older 35-70 2.8 in the end; it's incredible. Rivals my 50mm prime for sharpness and IQ.

Happy shooting with the D700, it's opened up so many things for me in photography.