Not sure if issue with lens or is it just me

max50011

Hey guys

so a few months ago i got a nikon d5100 for my bday and loved the camera. a few weeks ago i started looking into purchasing another lens, so a few days ago a few places had the nikkor 50mm 1.8g on sale so i decided to price match the lens at future shop, since they didnt have any in stock it had to be shipped to my house. when i got the lens i start shooting a few pictures and i noticed that when i look in the view finder it seems to me like the image is in focus but when i snap the shot it comes out blurry. i am using the manual focus mode and i checked to make sure the diopter wasnt out of place. I am not sure if i should go to future shop and get an exchange or if its just me and im not used to the lens since i usually shoot with the kit lens. the lens can produce sharp images i just have to move it more slightly left or right, also ive been shooting a lot in aperture priority mode 1.8. i dunno if that matters or not. i have been trying to keep my hands fairly steady when i shoot as i know that can also cause the blur but i dont think thats the issue, unless at 1.8 its more sensitive to movement.

Thanks in adbvanced guys
​Max.

jwstl

2 comments/questions:

You said you are focusing manually. Did you try the autofocus and see how that works? If those are in focus then your manual focusing is the issue.

Also...keep in kind that at 1.8 you don't have a lot of DOF so much/most of the image will be out of focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MrF

It might help to post an example shot or two. If you're shooting at f/1.8, DOF could definitely be the issue.

JDFlood

Shooting at f1.8 is something you would do only in very special circumstances... Flat subject where you want blurred background or low light. I'd shoot in the program mode w itch autofocus on until you think you know better than the camera. Choose Aperture priority when you learn why you would want to do it. JD

max50011

this makes sense, i thought aperture only controlled the amount of light coming in, i wasn't aware it plays a role in DOF, thanks everyone i guess i got a bit more learning to do lol :)

kirbfucius

I am also curious about shooting in manual focus mode if you purchased the G model. Because it's not specifically engineered to be a manual focus lens, its focus ring isn't nearly as incremental as a dedicated manual. It is expected that you shoot in autofocus and use the manual override for minor adjustments whenever you're in a situation that calls for it.