The Milkyway

WhiteLight

Any chance you can embed the pic directly to the thread?
Flickr (and a shit load of sites) are blocked at work.. and i would love to see the pic :)

Samsonite

DSC_2607 small.jpg

MrF

Beautiful shot, Samsonite. Great job with the exposure on the foreground as well. Any artificial lighting?

Wow thats pretty awesome. Where on earth in the sky is the milky way?

It technically stretches across the whole sky, but you need to be far away from any light pollution to do it. The only times I've seen it clearly have been while hiking in the Appalachians, in a few national parks, and flying over the Pacific with the displays and cockpit lights turned all the way down. Start looking 'behind' Orion. If it's dark enough, you won't need any help finding it... it'll be obvious.

Last edited:

turbobuick86

Last edited:

Samsonite

Thanks for the comments guys :) Spent a good couple of weeks doing my homework and planning the shoot, was well worth it! Especially considering im using one of the cheapest bodies (D5100) and cheapest lens (18-55), Im sure that with a Full Frame and some proper glass the results achievable would be much better!

Samsonite

This summer I made it a point to take advantage of every moonless / clear night.... Various shots from throughout the summer, all shot with my Nikon D7100 and Tokin 11-16mm.

DSC_5973.jpgDSC_6334.jpgDSC_6358.jpgDSC_6915.jpgDSC_9499.jpgDSC_9513.jpg

Moab Man

Nicely done. I would suggest a bit of luminance noise reduction in camera raw editor. I use it for my Milky Way photos and like it.

patrick in memphis

A lot of it is about how dark your site is.time of night and time of year.keep in mind the rule of 500 for max shutter duration to prevent streaking. Great shot samsonite.

Felisek

Amazing shots, Sam. The Milky Way looks great, but what really makes these photos is the perfectly exposed foreground balancing the picture.