Will it be called the D800 or D8000?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm starting to think the D700 replacement will be called the D8000. Given that all the newest cameras coming out from Nikon have 4 numbers and they only seem to go up (except for the D3 of course)

What do you think?

johnwartjr

I don't think it's something to guess about, because there have been so many predictions that have come and passed. By the time it arrives, they could be using *5* digits :)

LensWork

My $.02 is that it will be a 3-digit (D800 ?) model. Nikon has always used single digit (D3, F6, etc.) for pro models; and in recent years, 3 digit (D700, D300, F100, etc.) for semi-pro models, and 4 digit (D3000, D7000, N2020, etc.) for consumer models. The 2 digit (D60, N90, etc.) models number usage seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird. There were some 3 digit model numbers used on consumer models sold outside of the U.S.A. (F501, F301, etc.) to differentiate that they were not Nikon U.S.A. warrantied, but Nikon has since used the same moniker for all versions of the same model regardless of the country of original import.

I cannot see a replacement for the D700 using a 4 digit model designator. Perhaps when (if) Nikon puts a full-frame sensor in a consumer class chassis, it would use the 4 digit model number (think of a D7000 with a full-frame sensor, D8000?) And yes, before anyone chides me for calling the D7000 a consumer grade chassis, amongst others, without a FULL-magnesium alloy chassis (D7000 uses magnesium alloy only in the top & rear covers), no PC terminal for studio strobes and uses SD cards instead of CF cards, in my opinion, the D7000 does not qualify as a pro or semi-pro chassis. That's NOT to say that pros will not, or should not, use the D7000, just it lacks a few key components that in my book make it pro-grade chassis.

There is also a perceived class distinction with regards to the model numbers. How would potential buyers react to a D8000 as a replacement for a D700 given that by using a 4 digit model number it would now be in the same 4 digit series as a D3100?

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I agree with Lenswork but what happens after the D900?, will we start seeing D901, D902 or D900A, B, C etc.

Then the problem comes again at 999 or Z. Sheeesh, I think they messed up on model nomenclature.

LensWork

I agree with Lenswork but what happens after the D900?, will we start seeing D901, D902 or D900A, B, C etc.

Then the problem comes again at 999 or Z. Sheeesh, I think they messed up on model nomenclature.

And to think, it took Nikon 45 years to go from "F" to "F6" (1959-2004)! The rapid progression of digital technology sure changes things.

Me personally, I am looking forward to the Canon 1D Mark LXXXVIII :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

And to think, it took Nikon 45 years to go from "F" to "F6" (1959-2004)! The rapid progression of digital technology sure changes things.

Me personally, I am looking forward to the Canon 1D Mark LXXXVIII :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That's funny, we can start digit envy next, the heck with iso and noise, frame size, mines got 30 Plus digits...

D200freak

I wish they'd just standardized on specific numbering systems for cameras intended for a specific market segment from the very start and stuck with it.

3xxx, 5xxx, and 7xxx series have been pretty consistent, and so have the sports-oriented, high continuous shutter speed D1 thru D5 cameras.
but the 3 digit number series (D100 thru D810) are a mix of both full and crop sensor cameras, some are prosumer, others are full professional.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND, NIKON.

I would prefer that from this moment forward, the 3 digit series would be reserved for the FX, professional, max res models, the 1 digit series stays the same until they run out of numbers, then go to a 2 digit series, since the 2 digit series now is retired (D40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) and keep the 3K, 5K, and 7K series right where it is.

Once you understand their numbering system, ideally you'd know exactly where a new model fit in as soon as you knew the model number.

Here's how I'd structure them if I had anything to say about it. (I don't.)

3xxx series, entry level DSLR. DX.
5xxx series, enthusiast level. Higher resolution, more bells and whistles, DX
7xxx series, prosumer level, emphasis on performance over bells and whistles, DX
9xxx, prosumer with FX format,
XXX, professional, high res, FX format
X, professional, high frame speed, sports oriented, FX format

While I'm ranting, I've got to say it: I'm of the opinion that removing AUTO and SCENE modes from the pro grade cameras (D4, D810) was a mistake. Even for an authentic, certified, much worshipped professional photographer, there are times when having an AUTO mode or a preset scene mode would be appreciated. And it's just software.

mikew_RIP

I wish they'd just standardized on specific numbering systems for cameras intended for a specific market segment from the very start and stuck with it.

3xxx, 5xxx, and 7xxx series have been pretty consistent, and so have the sports-oriented, high continuous shutter speed D1 thru D5 cameras.
but the 3 digit number series (D100 thru D810) are a mix of both full and crop sensor cameras, some are prosumer, others are full professional.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND, NIKON.

I would prefer that from this moment forward, the 3 digit series would be reserved for the FX, professional, max res models, the 1 digit series stays the same until they run out of numbers, then go to a 2 digit series, since the 2 digit series now is retired (D40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90) and keep the 3K, 5K, and 7K series right where it is.

Once you understand their numbering system, ideally you'd know exactly where a new model fit in as soon as you knew the model number.

Here's how I'd structure them if I had anything to say about it. (I don't.)

3xxx series, entry level DSLR. DX.
5xxx series, enthusiast level. Higher resolution, more bells and whistles, DX
7xxx series, prosumer level, emphasis on performance over bells and whistles, DX
9xxx, prosumer with FX format,
XXX, professional, high res, FX format
X, professional, high frame speed, sports oriented, FX format

While I'm ranting, I've got to say it: I'm of the opinion that removing AUTO and SCENE modes from the pro grade cameras (D4, D810) was a mistake. Even for an authentic, certified, much worshipped professional photographer, there are times when having an AUTO mode or a preset scene mode would be appreciated. And it's just software.

Are there no current threads that interest you,just joking dont shoot me :D i never know if i should post comments like this,if we where sat having a chat and coffee it would be different but it always looks so stark in writing.