What to upgrade my D90 with !?!?!?

omegabri

Hi all...

I'm somewhat stuck...
I want to upgrade my D90, (probably next year now) but I'm not sure to go with the D300/300S or the FX chipped D700 ???

My photography is heading toward the stock market side of things, and portrait work.
My feeling on the DX side was that the 24-70mm f2.8 lens would end up being a superb portrait lens on the D300......

Has anyone any thoughts !?

Kindest regards
Brian

fotojack

I fail to see the need for upgrading your D90. Put your money into lenses, not camera bodies. The money you'd spend on a D300/D300S or a D700 would be better spent on good glass.
As for the 24-70mm f2.8 lens.....that would not be my first choice for a portrait lens. I would use a primary lens, such as a 35mm or a 50mm, or even an 85mm for portraits taken indoors. Outside portrait taking is a different story, however, as any lens could be used (within reason and available light). I'm sure there are others here who would have different and better opinions on this subject. Hopefully they will jump in and contribute their suggestions. :)

omegabri

52 focus points verses 11, frames per second for action shots, durability, my D90 has been hammered since I bought it.....

I'll be spending on new glass too, although I already have f1.4 primes etc..
I'm just going to upgrade the D90 - keeping the D90 as a spare

Can't help spending on my passion !:) lol

ZakSaenzPhotography

I have both the D700 and D300s and I think they are both great cameras. With all the problems the D90 has had it may be a good idea to think about another camera. I can tell you my D300s with my Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is tack sharp, but I also have the 28-75mm 2.8 Tamron lens and it does very well also. If you can't afford the D700 I don't think you will be missing out on anything by getting the D300s. $1459.00 at Adorama 25464 Nikon D300S 12.3 Megapixels SLR Digital Camera Body with 3" LCD, CF and SD/SDHC Card Slot

Zak

Last edited by a moderator:

omegabri

Many thanks Zak..
Money is not the issue. I just can't decide !?!? DX or FX, and what the overall advantage is??
How much better is having an FX???

Many thanks !
Bri..

ZakSaenzPhotography

If I only had one camera to pick from I would get the D300s just for the increase in lens zoom. But if you are going to be shooting a lot of low light photography the I would go with the D700. $2,380 is a great price for the D700 25444 Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera Body, 12.1 Megapixel, 0.72x Zoom, FX Format, CMOS Image Sensor but I would also consider which lenses you have now and if they could be used with the FX sensor. Both of these cameras are selling at a reduced price right now so I don't think they will get much cheaper.

Zak

Last edited by a moderator:

omegabri

Many thanks Zak...
I think, when the time comes (probably very soon !!), I'll go for the D300S, considering my existing lenses etc.

.....or the 700 !?!? hahaha. This is going to be a hard one !! haha

I would upgrade then to the d300s. The 24 to 70 2.8 is my main workhorse and works fabulous on both my d300 and d700 body. It's comp,eatery up to you but think long term.

fotojack

I concur. If I had my druthers, I, too, would get a D300s. I really see no need for a FX camera. I'll stick with the DX format.