Movies Only in Live View?

DavidPorter

Really dumb newbie question, but is it possible to shoot video using the conventional viewfinder? The manual seems to say no, you need to use live view for movies, but it isn't exactly clear. Needless to say I just took the camera out of the box.

​Thanks.

nickt

If you take a look in your camera with the lens off, you will see the mirror. The mirror directs the light coming into the lens up to the viewfinder but it also blocks the sensor. When you snap a picture, the mirror moves up to expose the shutter and sensor but it now blocks the viewfinder. Its either one path or the other, viewfinder or sensor that gets the image. Live view and movies need the mirror up and out of the way so the viewfinder is blocked. Here is a diagram I found:
SLR Cameras

donaldjledet

If you take a look in your camera with the lens off, you will see the mirror. The mirror directs the light coming into the lens up to the viewfinder but it also blocks the sensor. When you snap a picture, the mirror moves up to expose the shutter and sensor but it now blocks the viewfinder. Its either one path or the other, viewfinder or sensor that gets the image. Live view and movies need the mirror up and out of the way so the viewfinder is blocked. Here is a diagram I found:
SLR Cameras
Yes Nick good answer even us newbies understand that.