Trying to figure out what the better deal is on a D5200 package.

Dave_W

The Dude
It's most likely a grey market camera so be sure you understand and are okay with the issues that come along with grey market items.

fotojack

One way to find out is to add up the cost of each individual item. A long process, I know, but would give you a comparison cost overview.

Are there things in this package that you really need or want? It's no bargain if the answer is no. Would you actually go out and buy all the stuff that comes in this package? Only you can answer that.

Horoscope Fish

I'd spec out the cost of the body and lenses because the rest of the stuff, really, is junk.

The lenses specify "white box"; to me that means kit lenses that are being sold separately so I'd want to know about warranties for those and the body itself. Anything branded Zeikos or Bower is not worth owning in my opinion.

RockyNH_RIP

Check amazon... they have a similar "kit" with less junk for $200 less... and then they have even more savings on the camera with 2 lens.

Pat in NH

nickt

I'm not a fan of these kits. The big question is there USA warranty on the camera and two nikon lenses. The rest of the stuff are things you will eventually be unhappy with. The knock-off ML-L3 remote is probably OK, but the knock-off remotes can be found for $5. The memory cards... I'm betting are not retail packaged, so authenticity is in question. The two screw on accessory lenses, a novelty item. I've had my share of cheap tripods, they just aren't steady and will disappoint. Zeikos filters and flash... I predict disappointment especially in bright sun. The bags, ??? they might be ok, I've bought some Chinese bags/cases. I'm not a Nikon snob, I've just bought my share of junk over the years. Card reader, $2 if you order direct from china, but most computers have a reader slot these days.

I would build up my own kit over time. Start with the camera and the two kit lenses or consider just the 18-105. My thinking is the 18-105 is more handy for everyday carry than the 18-55 or the 55-200 and when I want zoom, I want more than 200mm.

jasno999

RockyNH
Re: Trying to figure out what the better deal is on a D5200 package.
Check amazon... they have a similar "kit" with less junk for $200 less... and then they have even more savings on the camera with 2 lens.

Pat in NH​

Can you send me a link I did not see anyhitng on Amazon that was similar and cheaper....

Dave_W
Re: Trying to figure out what the better deal is on a D5200 package.
It's most likely a grey market camera so be sure you understand and are okay with the issues that come along with grey market items.​

What do you mean by grey market camera? I don't know what that means can you give me some more details.

Warranty is a good quesiton and I can ask the seller about that. I probably do not need all the extras but thought for the price that it seemed good but I asked because of the good things you all are bringing up. I have read a lot about how the 55-300 lens is much better than the 55-200 so I was thinking about that side of it as well.

jasno999

Let me ask a follow up question. I am basically a novice at photography- I enjoy it and would like to move to bigger and better- gettign away from the point and shoot world. I don't want to get professional level cameras cause I don't need one and I don't want to spend all that money. With that said I don't want a simpl basic level entry DSLR- I want something that I can grow into.

I have settled on Nikon as they seem to have better rattings than the Cannons. With that said I am still between the D3200 and the D5200. I think the D5200 is worth it but I want to hear what you all have to say... Again I am tryign to get the most for my money and I want a lense with some power to reach out. So I need more than the 18-55.

nickt

what do you mean by grey market camera? I don't know what that means can you give me some more details.

Grey means that the equipment was imported though a foreign third party, not a US authorized Nikon dealer. This means there is no warranty from Nikon. If you look on a site like B&H, you will see cameras and lenses. Some are marked 'imported'. These are 'grey'. B&H normally warranties these type of items themselves, but many sellers do not give a warranty on these items, especially ebay 'deals'.

evan447

be aware that with gray imports after the "in house" warranty runs out you are on your own. nikon usa no longer supply parts to third party repair shops.

nickt

Lots of comparisons between d3200 and d5200 on the web. In a nutshell, more features on the d5200. I suggest downloading the manuals for both and glancing through them. I know its hard without camera in hand, but it will pay to learn all you can before you buy. Real-life opinions count, but best to do your own research too. I have neither so I can't speak on specifics with authority.

Is a d7000 in your budget? More growing room there. Harder to learn, but more direct access to certain settings that make it easy to change things quickly as you shoot. I'm just throwing it out there since you mentioned an interest in growing. Nothing wrong with the d5200 though, just a different user interface than something like a d7000/d7100.

As far as wanting more reach, consider what I said in my earlier post about getting the 18-105. Then down the road get a more powerful zoom that you will be more happier with. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200. I rarely use them, but they are decent lenses. I moved on to the 18-105 and a 70-300. Those two are more useful to me.

RockyNH_RIP

Can you send me a link I did not see anyhitng on Amazon that was similar and cheaper....

Let me apologize, I typed in D5100 (I have one) I agree there were no cheaper "bundles". Just question what is in the "bundle" that either is poor or you would never use...

Sorry... :(

Pat in NH

Horoscope Fish

Let me ask a follow up question. I am basically a novice at photography- I enjoy it and would like to move to bigger and better- gettign away from the point and shoot world. I don't want to get professional level cameras cause I don't need one and I don't want to spend all that money. With that said I don't want a simpl basic level entry DSLR- I want something that I can grow into.

I have settled on Nikon as they seem to have better rattings than the Cannons. With that said I am still between the D3200 and the D5200. I think the D5200 is worth it but I want to hear what you all have to say... Again I am tryign to get the most for my money and I want a lense with some power to reach out. So I need more than the 18-55.
What tips the balance in favor of the 5200 (at least in my book) is the flip out LCD screen (gawd I miss that on my D7100), the additional focus points (39 on the D5200 vs 11 on the D3200) and the additional cross-type focus points (9 on the D5200 vs 1 on the D3200). Trust me when I tell you, those three things alone definitely make the D5200 worth the price of admission over the D3200.

Edit: As for lenses, one of my favorites is the Nikon 18-105mm and you might be able to score that lens in a kit. For more power on a budget look at the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR for about $250 or the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD for about $200.

Last edited:

jasno999

Thank you everybody- there are some amazon bundles with various lense combos- I guess I just have to make a decision and go for it. I am not sure still so I am going to sit on it for a few more days before I do anything.

fotojack

Thank you everybody- there are some amazon bundles with various lense combos- I guess I just have to make a decision and go for it. I am not sure still so I am going to sit on it for a few more days before I do anything.

It would be nice if you could fill out the rest of your profile. It really does help us when answering questions you might have later on. Thanks. :)

WyoDuner

I bought my D5200 kit at Costco (USA) for $1049 plus tax. Camera body, 18-55, 55-300 lenses, 16 Gb memory card, Nikon case and WU-1a WiFi adapter. I also picked up a Manfrotto tripod/head/carry case there for only $100. You KNOW you will be covered if any issues arise when buying from Costco.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasno999

It would be nice if you could fill out the rest of your profile. It really does help us when answering questions you might have later on. Thanks. :)

Not trying to be mean but I am not sure how you knowing where I live and what I do for a living is going to help you help me???
I am a private person and like to stay off the net in terms of information..

ShootingStar

Not trying to be mean but I am not sure how you knowing where I live and what I do for a living is going to help you help me???
I am a private person and like to stay off the net in terms of information..

You don't have to include any personal information that you don't want to share. The type of information that is helpful to other forum members when you ask questions is the camera model and types of lenses that you have and a bit about the kinds of pictures you like to take. That is the kind of information that helps others make useful suggestions to you. For example, if we know you want to shoot portraits, we would probably recommend different lenses for you than we would to someone who wants to shoot sporting events.

jasno999

You don't have to include any personal information that you don't want to share. The type of information that is helpful to other forum members when you ask questions is the camera model and types of lenses that you have and a bit about the kinds of pictures you like to take. That is the kind of information that helps others make useful suggestions to you. For example, if we know you want to shoot portraits, we would probably recommend different lenses for you than we would to someone who wants to shoot sporting events.

First - I don't have a camera yet- that is why I asked the question I asked.
Second - Did you read my question- how is camera information in any way relavent to the question I asked- I asked about deals on a camera bundle????

I am confused by your request- don't see how it helps in any way shape or form...