IR - what is this?

wud

Finally my IR filter arrived (950NM), usch its pretty difficult.

But what made this (bad) picture look like this? Is it light because the filter wasnt screwed on properly?

Shutter time 1/131

ir_8075.jpg

BackdoorArts

Could be lots of things, starting with white balance issues, reflections, light leak thru the viewfinder, really bad filter.

One very important thing to remember is that DSLR cameras have some level of IR filtering applied to them, so when you filter out everything else some of what you do allow through will never reach the sensor. This reduced level of IR light will mean that what you get from your camera will not look like other IR conversions, and you may miss out on part of the spectrum unless you convert your camera to full spectrum.

White balancing on IR photos must be done against a green source - usually a nice patch of grass. If you've never done custom white balancing then look it up and learn how to do it. If you have, replace your grey card with the green grass and have at it.

If you're shooting on a tripod I suspect you had some level of direct sunlight hitting your viewfinder during the shot as the lines seem to be light leak. If not, then I have no idea.

BackdoorArts

FYI, after speaking with several people who have tried the filter approach I was convinced that if I wanted to try IR I would do it via the sensor conversion. I can't help with the problems, only tell you that you're not the first and you may be better off finding an IR forum to ask your questions.

wud

BackdoorHippie, thanks :) I will try again, and make sure all my settings are correct. I did not know that I had to do WB at green, even though I read about this IR at several places.

pedroj

No no, meant the white light at the sides and across the picture, I know it needs processing.
Maybe someone had tried it/seen it before.

I have a 720 filter and it doesn't over expose the shots...I shoot in raw and set WB in processing...

pedroj

Part of the shot appears over exposed....Have you tried taking other images with the filter screwed on properly

Here's one of mine F5.6 shutter 8 seconds...

IR 2 007.jpg