TTL Off-Camera (Using 2 Speedlites)

gohan2091

I own a Nikon D7100 with two speedlites; the Nikon SB-700 and Yongnuo YN-568EX. For playing around with off-camera flash, I put my SB700 to remote mode, and trigger it with my pop-up flash with Aokatec A-N1 IR Panel (which allows only Infra-Red Light through from the pop-up flash). This combination works well but I can only use manual mode for this.

If I were to make use of both my speedlites (one on camera, one off camera) would I be able use TTL mode? If so, how would I do this? and wouldn't my on-camera speedlite affect the exposure of my photos?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneF

If I were to make use of both my speedlites (one on camera, one off camera) would I be able use TTL mode? If so, how would I do this? and wouldn't my on-camera speedlite effect the exposure of my photos?

There would seem to be no reason to do so (put one flash on the hot shoe). Just put both flashes out there now as remotes (I am assuming this Yongnuo model actually does work as a Nikon remote).

The SB-700 will work as a Commander, and of course, the D7000 internal flash can work as a Commander (to operate a couple of remote TTL flashes). You do have your choice, but using the SB-700 there sort of wastes a flash.

Either of these two Commanders have remote group A and B. They also have a internal flash in each of them, which is the internal group.

If you do not want the internal flash (either of them that is used) to influence the exposure of your pictures, then in the Commander menu, simply set that internal group's Mode to be "- -" (which is off) - instead of mode TTL or whatever. The commander (internal flash) will still flash commands before the shutter opens, but if if its mode is "- -", it will not contribute to the lighting of the picture.

See Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System for a description of this.

Last edited:

gohan2091

Thanks very much, I actually had no idea there was a commander setting on my D7100. Coming from a D5100, that had no such ability. So I guess I no longer need the Aokatec A-N1 IR Panel.

WayneF

Thanks very much, I actually had no idea there was a commander setting on my D7100. Coming from a D5100, that had no such ability. So I guess I no longer need the Aokatec A-N1 IR Panel.

Right, a Commander is how AWL Remote flashes are operated, the only way. Higher price camera models include a Commander in the internal flash, or flashes like SB-700 or SB-910 have a commander option in them too (which sort of wastes a flash to be commander, on-camera is not usually where we want a flash).

The Aokatec panel is a knock-off of the Nikon SG-3IR panel, same thing. These have a different use, optional. A Commander does not "need" it, but the commander has to flash a signal that says "All remotes, fire NOW!". This is very weak, normally insignificant, of no concern - however, very close or very shiny subjects might show a highlight due to its location. The red plastic panels hide that visible catchlight. You cannot use the panel if you plan to add the internal flash into the lighting of course, but typically, we disable that internal flash in the commander menu.

See Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System about the Commander,
and specifically, the last section at bottom about the red panel.