D7100 RAW File Corruption

wilkster

I recently bought a D7100 and have been very happy with it. I have had it three weeks now. About a week ago I bought a SanDisk 32GB Extreme U1 (45MB/s) memory card and in the past two days I am seeing corruption like the following in the raw files (embedded JPEG is OK). It is fairly consistent (75% of the images). I tried a different card at home tonight and didn't see any issues so I will try again tomorrow. I am worried however it is a camera issue and I am taking a long trip in a month.

Just wanted to know anyone's experience with this situation as I haven't seen this corruption before with any other cameras/SD Cards.

DSC_0745.jpg
DSC_0752.jpg
​Thanks

AxeMan - Rick S.

If you are not seeing it on another card my best guess is the first card has an issue. Try that second card out and shot the heck out of it and see if you get the same problem. If not than it's the card.

Have not heard of any issues with the D7100 related to corruption.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would first check to make sure that you didn't get a fake card. I think there is a website out there somewhere that can verify cards for you. I've read of people with issues like yours and it was 80% of the time a fake card that they got.

wilkster

I would first check to make sure that you didn't get a fake card. I think there is a website out there somewhere that can verify cards for you. I've read of people with issues like yours and it was 80% of the time a fake card that they got.

That was my first thought. I found this program called hwtest2 which verifies each byte by writing to the card and reading it back. The card was fine.

Sent from my EOS JB TF101

wilkster

Looks like the problem is with my SD Card reader on my computer. Went out again today and had the same result with corruption copying files manually from my SD Card to a USB hard drive. Then went to another computer on the network and copied from there with no corruption. Did a binary compare of the sets of files and sure enough there were zeros in some sections of the first copied file where there was data in the second. Very strange, hadn't seen something like this before. Happened on three different SanDisk cards. Looks like time for a new card reader. In the mean time I can copy using the USB Cable to the camera. Glad is in't the camera:)