California Tree Frog (Pseudacris cadaverina)

Dave_W

The Dude
Every year my wife and I collect tadpoles from the canyons here in San Diego and raise them in our fountain. My grandkids love it and so, too, do the neighborhood kids, who stop by to watch them develop. Most of the tadpoles (aka - pollywogs) have become frogs and all around the fountain you see these little guys (about the size of a dime) jumping around. You also see all the neighborhood lizards roaming around looking for a quick meal.

California tree frogs live exclusively in the So. California/Baja region and can be found in nearly every pond or vernal pool from Spring to early Summer.

D800; 105mm; f-5.0; ISO-400

_DW14208-SVS-2.jpg

STM

That is great! We have a small (10' x 8') koi pond in our back yard and the first summer we had it tadpoles magically appeared. It turns out they were leopard frogs. I guess it was a win-win proposition; it boosted the leopard frog population and provided a food source for our koi! I suggested to my wife I catch a painted water snake or two (non-venomous) and introduce them but she vetoed the idea and I did not have enough stroke to override the veto!

Last edited:

MarkNX1V

Beautiful Shot! Suitable for framing IMHO. I really like the way his body colors contrast so nicely with all the green n the shot.

Kodiak

Hi Dave,

That's a keeper for sure, but before it goes on the wall, maybe you should consider
doing something with the distracting "other colour" area on the right side. I would not
suggest a destructive cropping but more something like a colour replacement, since
the shape and it's presence are not the problem, just the colour shift in the scene.

Have a very good day…

PS: As I was closing this window, I noticed that you gave a "no" to image editing!
I could offer to execute this colour replacement for you, should you think it is
​worth any consideration!

Please visit the groups:

http://nikonites.com/groups/product-...#axzz2Yku2yynD
http://nikonites.com/groups/panoramas-virtual-reality/#axzz2Yku2yynD

Last edited: