QUESTION from a Newcomer

bellamente007

Hi.
I want to upgrade from my NIKON D60, any suggestions. The D60 has 10 mp so I want a few more mps and definitely an HD movie mode.
As far as MPs how high is enough? 12 mp? Cannon has the 60D with 18 mp but the prices of the Nikon at 18 is way more expensive.
ADVICE PLEASE!! :)

Thanks

Joseph Bautsch

Hi and welcome to the Nikonites Community. More mega pixels is not necessarily a good thing. I have the D90 with 12.3 MP and can do serious cropping and still get show quality prints up to 13"x19.5" (as big as my Epson printer will go). There are very few photographers who need more than that. The D7000 has 16.2 mp. At that level you have all the picture quality you will ever need. Yes the Nikon is a little more expensive but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. The extra money is well worth the additional quality of Nikon. The same holds true for lenses. You can buy less expensive lenses but they won't have Nikon quality.

bellamente007

Thanks. I never knew about this site. I got my first DSLR last year the D60 and I like it a lot but the quality is just so so to me. I took photography in college, but it was of course with a film camera and trading over to digital has been interesting. I had actually been playing with the idea of crossing over to Canon for the 60D. But I would rather stick with Nikon. I have to stay within a price range. lol. I am going to check out the D7000. Any thoughts on the D700? or the 3100? I think I want to stick with getting a FULL FRAME and not a CROP camera like I have now. Still have tons of learning to do. Thanks for any and all guidance.

Curt

I agree the new D7000 would be a good buy, but if you are on a bit of a budget you might want to look for a D90. They have come down in price, I am sure. Or you can look for a used one.

bellamente007

Hey...Thanks. I was just comparing and was just going ask about that. The D90 has Auto Active D Lighting but it does not look like the D7000 does. Does it not need it? The price on the D7000 is not actually that bad considering the perks and I am sure the closer to the holidays the sales for kits will come so I might just wait and see, I think the D 7000 is what I am looking for. Its not full focus FX but the D700 is WAY out of my range for now and quite frankly my skill set. I really enjoyed starting with the D60 because it was a great beginner camera and Ill never sell it, it takes great shots. Just looking to add to my arsenal. I think the D7000 might be it. Thanks again.

johnwartjr

I started with a D60, upgraded to a D90, and then upgraded to the D700

D7000 looks pretty good, if I hadn't bought a D700, I'd probably consider the D7000.

fotojack

OK, so you started with a D60 (now out of production) and I imagine you have one or two lenses to go with it. Moving from a DX to a full frame camera requires different lenses. Why not stick with the lenses you have and get the appropriate camera for the lenses? Go for the D90 or like Zak said, the new D7000. Both excellent choices and it won't be "over your head" skill wise. :)
My niece has a D60 and she loves it, and she takes some fantastic shots with it, too. It's the glass and the skill of the photographer that makes the shots, my friend. :)
*I'll never understand why anyone would want video on a still camera!*

bellamente007

Yes yes you are right. You know I think the ONLY reason I wanted video on the camera is because last time when I traveled I had to carry so much, the camera and a video camera and I did not take nearly enough video to warrant it. It is not really a must though. I think I have decided on the D7000. You are right about the lenses and it does make sense. I am learning so much here. THANKS.

johnwartjr

What is limiting you on the D60? Specifically, what does it lack that you desire or need? Knowing that will help people form more educated opinions.

Does the D3x do more than the D40? You bet it does.... but unless someone *needs* those extra features, what difference does that make? A Cavalier will get you from A to B, so will a Mercedes.

What accessories do you have with your D60? Do you have any other lenses? A flash?

If you have a lot of lenses that are DX, then the DX path may be for you - D90, D7000, etc.

If you only have your kit lens, and you desire to eventually move to full frame, I might suggest buying FX lenses and holding off on a new camera body purchase.

Rarely is the equipment the limiting factor in taking great photos - it's the photographer. It's a constant evolution, learning more, etc.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading equipment if that's what you want to do, but having the latest and greatest body and lens won't make you a great photographer - taking pictures, critiquing them, refining your process will!

There are people in my photo club who turn out amazing quality shots with $200 point and shoots - better shots than some of us turn out with $5k+ in DSLR and lens do!

Ruidoso Bill

"There's nothing wrong with upgrading equipment if that's what you want to do, but having the latest and greatest body and lens won't make you a great photographer - taking pictures, critiquing them, refining your process will!

There are people in my photo club who turn out amazing quality shots with $200 point and shoots - better shots than some of us turn out with $5k+ in DSLR and lens do!"

So very well stated John! Cameras are like tools, in the hands of a craftsman , the craftsman can do wonders.

Curt

I do agree, if you already have a fair mount of glass (in the Dx formant) then going to a camera body (D700) would not be the way to go. D90, D7000 would be the best choice. I also agree video on a still camera, NO!!