Advice on Lenses needed

Bill16

Hi all! :)
I'm very interested in taking Macro pics and landscapes but I also consider my D3100 as a start off camera for the next few years as I save up the money for a full frame Nikon. I live on a fixed income due to Social Security Disability, so price will be a huge consideration.
I have a few less expensive lenses bought before joining the site on the way now, and I'm hoping I didn't mess up too bad. lol :)
Nikkor 70-300
Nikkor 105 Micro f/4 macro lens non-AI updated to AI film/digital
Soligor 28-80 f 3.5-4.5 mc lens
not counting the 18-55 lens that came with my D3100 new

All recomendations and advice welcome, and I'm grateful for it. Thank you in advance for your responces! :)

Bill16

I'm so looking forward to trying the lenes out when they get here, but I'm feeling a lot more relieved that they might be good ones and not just a rookie mess up! lol :)

Thank you! :)

Bill16

Of that I just wasn't sure they were good, until you told me. lol :D

I was trying to get lenses that would work as well or even better on a full frame.Yet still work pretty good on the D3100. But there are soooo many lenses and I was just researching as best as I new how as I looked for lenses, praying that I didn't buy a bad lens altogether. the lenses are reported to be clean,scratch free,no fungus,rubs or any other issues that would mess up a shot. But as I said I was worried about the choice of lenses. lol :D

Bill16

I spent $135.00 on the nikkor 70-300, about $30.00 for the soligor lens, and $190.00 for the nikkor 105mm.
So I very glad they aren't real bummer lenses. lol :D

Bill16

Well my soligor 28-80mm lens arrived today, and I already have issues I'll have to learn how to solve! lol :)
But it makes some very nice black pictures! lol ;) I guess it's not going to be my favorite indoor lens! lol ;)

ladytonya

I'm doing a lot of reading about lenses right now but I really can't afford to add to my collection at the moment. What is a soligor lens? Just curious, I try to follow along with other newbies with D3100 kits so I can see what you all are doing with your equipment. It's fun to see what's out there!

Bill16

Soligor is just the brand name. The Soligor brand got their lenses made by other makers, so the brand isn't really a good one in my opinion on a consistant basis. The lens itself is a macro lens, but it's a manual focus ai lens. It was not built for the D3100 at all, that is for sure. to use this lens you lose pretty much all the advantages the D3100 offers, and have to set everything manually, if that is even possible for the D3100.
but since I have hopes of going to a full frame nikon someday, I still have hopes this could be a good lens later if not right away.
I only paid $25.00 for it so I thought it was worth the risk. :)

Last edited:

Bill16

Update! It will work on the D3100! You have to go all manual, but it wasn't quite as hard as I thought it might be. lol :)

skene

The one good thing about the D3100 is that it will accept ALL Nikon/Nikkor/F Mount lenses.... However before attempting to install these lenses into other bodies FX or DX you should verify that the lenses can be used.

ie... D90 will not accept any F mount lenses Pre-AI/non modded, however the D3100 will.

Bill16

I bought it at ebay, believe it or not. lol yes I'm liking it, but I got sidetracted today with my 105mm nikkor that just arrived. lol It is pretty awesome. :D

Bill16

I've been practicing using the 105mm and enjoying it alot! Though my photos are not the quality of the ones I've seen here, I'm very happy with my progress. This lens is my favorite so far. :D