What do u think "a must have lens" for Nikon 1 series camera?

ahgam

Yet to get a Nikon J3, wondering if zoom lens is useful for a quality image or just stick to prime lens which equal to 50MM (35MM equav.)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Phillydog1958

Yet to get a Nikon J3, wondering if zoom lens is useful for a quality image or just stick to prime lens which equal to 50MM (35MM equav.)

I'd go with the 10-30 kit, for starters. Once you get that, you can get a prime. Since you will only have one lens, the 10-30 will allow for decent pics and give you a little range, from ultra wide to mid. I eventually bought the 30-110 for more length. I'm content with the 2 lenses. Eduard is a mod on this forum. He's got a prime or 2 for the his V1. He can tell you more about those. Good luck.

STM

This is entirely dependant on what you plan to use the camera for. The Nikon 1 J3 is designed pretty much as an amateur camera intended for the most part to take high quality snapshots. It is designed to take better images than a cheap P&S you get for under $100 at Walmart. It is not a camera intended for serious work, regardless of what Nikon says. Think about what you plan to use it for and then choose your lens(s) accordingly. If a zoom gives you more flexibility than a single prime lens, then go with it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I use my V1 to supplement my D300 or as a light travel kit. I didn't feel that my kit was complete until Nikon released the ultra-wide zoom (1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR). It is a fantastic lens for landscape and interior shots.

If you aren't an ultra-wide aficionado, I'd say the 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8. It is sharp and fast 50mm equivalent and one of my favorite lenses in any format.

My typical travel kit is the 6.7-13mm, 18.5mm and 30-110mm. If I was building a kit today, I would be tempted by the new 1 NIKKOR 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR for convenience but I love the results with the 30-110mm.

crashton

Since you haven't purchased your camera yet I'd say pick up a V1 instead of a J3. Not having a viewfinder is going to drive you bonkers shooting outside.

As for a lens I'd get the 10-30mm to start. For a must have it is a 18.5mm f1.8 for me.

Cameta Camera is a good source for a refurbished V1.

Search Results

Phillydog1958

Since you haven't purchased your camera yet I'd say pick up a V1 instead of a J3. Not having a viewfinder is going to drive you bonkers shooting outside.

As for a lens I'd get the 10-30mm to start. For a must have it is a 18.5mm f1.8 for me.

Cameta Camera is a good source for a refurbished V1.

Search Results

I agree with Crashton. I purchased the J1, and got it at a great price, but after a week, I got a V2 and traded in my J1. The lack of a viewfinder was the deal breaker for me.

Somersetscott

I loved my J1, haha, I progressed through disposables - Compact digitals - Bridge - Compact system camera - DSLR
Camera phones all the way through - VGA to 12.1mp Sony Ericsson.

I wish I skipped the foreplay with regard to cameras, the J1 did increase my appetite for photography and taught me alot - But I did find myself quickly at its limits. Can take some fantastic shots with it! - I was proud of my night photography in Sweden with it.

If I could turn back the hands of time I'd have gone for a 2nd hand DSLR that was a few years old and started from there and bypassed the Nikon 1.

I had the 10-30mm and the 30-110mm - I felt like there wasn't anything I couldn't take a photo of and all the other Nikon 1 Specific lenses were insanly over my budget and the conversion adapter to Nikon F-mount was also mega bucks.

Fantastic cameras! - but take them as they are. If a DSLR is required, get a DSLR

ahgam

Thanks all your inputs, just bought obsolete V1 wit 10mm kits. My next acquire stock will be 18.5mm + SBN5 flash.. If afford FT1 mount. To add it up the price more less cost of a V2, thought I cud play "save" wit nikon 1, but not at al sight~

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks all your inputs, just bought obsolete V1 wit 10mm kits. My next acquire stock will be 18.5mm + SBN5 flash.. If afford FT1 mount. To add it up the price more less cost of a V2, thought I cud play "save" wit nikon 1, but not at al sight~

Congrats and welcome to the club! Just a heads up that you might have a hard time finding a SB-N5 as they have been discontinued.

randyspann

For me the "must have" is the 10-100 VR. Then start suplimenting with primes. With the big zoom and the 18.5 you have the perfect superlight/go anywhere kit. (In the tank bag of my motorcycle!)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
For me the "must have" is the 10-100 VR. Then start supplementing with primes. With the big zoom and the 18.5 you have the perfect superlight/go anywhere kit. (In the tank bag of my motorcycle!)

Randy I have the 10-100 VR and did a quick review of it on my V1. My go to kit is now the 6.7-13mm, 10-100mm and the 18.5mm. Great glass.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I would definitely would add a FT1 just to have more options.

I've thought about it. If I was a birder, no doubt. For how I use the V1, it doesn't make sense. My 24-70mm/f2.8 would be a ~ 65-200mm equivalent which I have to admit is tempting. But it kind of defeats the purpose of a smaller kit.

The better investment for me was the 6.7-13mm. That lens might be my favorite UWA of all time on any system. I really really like it. Did I say how much I like it? LOL

Phillydog1958

I've thought about it. If I was a birder, no doubt. For how I use the V1, it doesn't make sense. My 24-70mm/f2.8 would be a ~ 65-200mm equivalent which I have to admit is tempting. But it kind of defeats the purpose of a smaller kit.

The better investment for me was the 6.7-13mm. That lens might be my favorite UWA of all time on any system. I really really like it. Did I say how much I like it? LOL

I think the 6.7-13mm is the best Nikon 1 lens. You can't beat it's design, overall quality and performance.

fks

I'd like to see how the 24-70mm does on the V1. I've tried my 28-70mm AF-S, and it's nothing to write home about (too much CA). Agreed though, either lens tends to overwhelm the V1 as far as being a small kit.

My 24-70mm/f2.8 would be a ~ 65-200mm equivalent which I have to admit is tempting. But it kind of defeats the purpose of a smaller kit.

To answer the OP's question, my vote goes to the 18.5mm f/1.8. IQ is great, and f/1.8 gives you good subject isolation.

I've never used the 32mm f/1.2, but from what I've seen, it would also be a great must-have if not for the price.