Hello from West Wales, UK

Raceylacy

Hi Everyone :)

My name's Sandi and I am new here. Looking forward to picking your brains (so be prepared!!! ha! ;)).

I have recently upgraded to a D90 from a D50 and am really determined to learn as much of the techy stuff as I can to really get the best out of the camera, albeit the techy stuff tends to give me a brain twist!!! :confused:

I live in a beautiful part of the UK in Pembrokeshire, West Wales and Pembrokeshire being the UK's only coastal National Park, am spoilt for things to photograph - well, in my case to practice photography! ;)

I also have 3 lovely dogs who I am forever photographing in 'action' on the beach etc.

Sandi :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello Sandy and welcome! You sound like you live in a wonderful place to photograph - I can't wait to see your work! What kind of dogs? I used to have Scottish Terrorists - actually had 3 at one time - but have learned that those 3 equal my current dog for craziness - a Cairn Terrorist. (Don't let the cute face fool you!)

Charlotte_website.jpg

Ruidoso Bill

Hello Sandi and welcome to Nikonites! It will be great to see your dogs in action, I always love looking and animal pictures. I am so glad you've found us and hope you will make Nikonites a regular stop, lots of good folks here to help and hang out with.

Raceylacy

Aww Eduard, I bet your little Cairn has you well trained!!! Very very cute ;0) I have Lacy, a border collie, Glen a Rough Collie and Lulu a whippety/collie-ish looking girlie - all rescue dogs, and Lulu is actually my 'don't take your work home with you' dog - I worked in dog rescue for 5 years and she is my 'failed foster'!

Hi Bill, I'll have a go at posting some pics - I can provide lots (and lots!) of animal pics! These were all taken in early October 20DSC_1824.JPG1DSC_1756.JPG0DSC_0918.JPG.DSC_0937.JPG
DSC_1100.JPG
DSC_1496.JPG

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow Sandy, they look like they are having a blast! Great pictures and excellent color/white balance. I like your "don't take your work home with you" line. Thanks for sharing!!

Red Kite

Hi Sandi. Great shots of the dogs on the beach. I also live in West Wales (a bit further north than you though), in Aberystwyth. So we are almost-but-not- quite neighbours. Pembrokeshire is one place I have on my "must visit" list... its very beautiful. I borrow a couple of crazy dogs and take them to the beach here, the love chasing balls and playing in the sea just as yours do. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Sandi and welcome to the Nikonites Community. Around my house it's cats, two of them. About the only "action" shots I can get is one of them curled up on a pillow. Around here if you want the most comfortable seat in the house you will have to move the cat. In any case those are great shots of the doge on the beach. Looks like you have the technical part of the camera settings down pat. Of course it helps to live on a beautiful national park beach. (sigh) There is not much in the way of beach front here in Atlanta.

Raceylacy

Tell the truth, how long did it take to train them for this pose? Looks pretty darn posed to me... lol

View attachment 733

Ha! You made me smile Bill ...... this was one of those 'quick get some shots' moments. The yellow ball actually belongs to the collie standing behind my Lacy, who belongs to some friends - she is about to 'woof' (in other words tell us to 'throw the ball!) - there is actually a sequence of shots. There is also another 4 dogs behind me mingling about. We had actually put away Lacy's ball but in good true border collie style her clever brain just thinks 'ok, I'll nick Hobie's ball then' and poor Hobie doesn't have much say in it! I have other fab shots of these two together - all natural poses. Easy really with collies - just have a toy and fire away the shots!

Thank for all the welcomes - I'll be back later to respond to the others (have to go take the canine gang out and it's pretty wet and dismal here today! So wellie boots and hats!)

Raceylacy

Hi Red Kite - Ahh so you know Hemel Hempstead. Yes, you are right, not so many photo opportunities!!!! I still have family there but have to admit haven't been back for a while - too many people and too many cars! (for info of others, Hemel Hempstead is 20 miles north of London so busy busy busy!) We moved in December 2007 and haven't looked back and I still have to pinch myself that I live in this beautiful country, Wales. I know Aberystwyth well. My Aunty who is sadly no longer with us, lived in Nebo but my uncle and cousins are still in the area. I have lovely memories of going to Ynslas and more recently we did visit the Hafod Estate which was lovely. We saw lots of Red Kites too. I see you said in another thread you also know Milton Keynes. We took our Rough Collie, Glen training there, I think it was at Broughton? And of course we would go on shopping trips (boring, I know, Ha!)

Gosh there is so much to read and images to look at on here - I will have to just keep stopping by!

Raceylacy

Thank you for the welcome Joseph. Aww cats. My lot go nuts when they see cats - that's because most of our neighbours have cats so it's obviously a territorial thing. Although our neighbours cat and I have a love hate relationship - their cat likes to catch the birds that I feed. But I trick the cat. I need to get some shots of her peeping around the fence to see if i'm about - you've never seen anything so cheeky. I've moved the feeders now so that's out-foxed her for now at least! It's a bit like a comedy cartoon strip! Ha!

I think the technical part of the camera settings is more down to 'luck'! I'm still at that stage where I forget and need to go and check the manual - but i'm getting there! lol!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Sandi, and welcome to the forum! I am always so glad to see other dog lovers here . . .

she is my 'failed foster'

No such thing . . . they just decided they were meant for you . . . I have several "failed fosters"!

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos . . . your dogs and your beautiful countryside!

nickywgrpweb.jpg

Best Regards

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi, Sandi, and welcome to the forum! I am always so glad to see other dog lovers here . . .

No such thing . . . they just decided they were meant for you . . . I have several "failed fosters"!

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos . . . your dogs and your beautiful countryside!

Is that a chicken or cat on the table? ;)

Fen

Pembrokeshire... fantastic coastlines. Was there a while back visiting some friends who run the Swan Inn (Little Haven).

Got some great sunset shots of the Irish horse trainers that run the horses on Broad Haven beach.

bannview

Hi there Sandi,
I`m like yourself and have just joined this community recently. They seem quite a nice bunch on here. I must say I liked your dog shots. Your coastal scenery is very akin to ours here in Northern Ireland. I have only ever been to Wales on one occasion many,many years ago to a place called Tenby. l think that is in Pembrokeshire from what I recall.
Best regards,
Ian

Raceylacy

View attachment 737

Best Regards

Thud! What lovely dogs you have! Is that a camera shy one you have lurking in the back just behind the cat, oops I mean chicken - looks like a pointy nose type or maybe Grt Daney type?????

Sandi