New or refurbished

mikew_RIP

A new D90 or not that is the question,ime retiring at Christmas so would like to get my main spending done before then. I have just bought a D5100 a few weeks ago to pair with an old D70 but the D70 is unreliable,so I thought cut my losses and buy a second body now.

The D90 is the cheapest new camera with a built in motor I can find, pretty sure I would be happy with the 12.3mp and have found two purchase options, new from an established ebay seller with 5 years trading £399 with there own 3 year warranty,or genuine Nikon refurbished through ebay but from a camera shop with a Nikon 6 months warranty £349.
Neither are local to me so any repairs would be a posting situation in both cases,has any one found much difference between Nikon refurbished and new stock.

mike

Deezey

New is always better. Referb'ed will still have a shutter count on it. And unless the seller is willing to tell you how many snaps it has. It can be a crap shoot.

With hose prices being so close I would go new. Besides.....new cameras smell better.

Dave_W

The Dude
New is always better. Referb'ed will still have a shutter count on it. And unless the seller is willing to tell you how many snaps it has. It can be a crap shoot.

With hose prices being so close I would go new. Besides.....new cameras smell better.

I agree 100%. New is always better than used, IMO. When I was in school I spent my summers doing stick framing and drywall and it was taboo to borrow or lend you axe (hammer) to anyone because the last thing you wanted was someone to teach your tools bad habits. Same thing with your camera, the last thing you want is a camera with bad habits! :D

mikew_RIP

I agree totally,i guess my main concern was one had entered the uk via Nikon uk and the other had not,any way the bloomin wife has thrown a spanner in the works :wink-new: she said you dont retire for 6 months why not wait a few months and have a look at a D7000,well I hadn't thought of that (I had but didn't think i would get away with it).

mike

Nikon Photographer

Buy the 'AP' D90's are being advertised for around £479.00, register it with Nikon U.K and you will get a 2 year warranty, not a lot more than the £399 you've been looking at.

Cowleystjames

Where are you located mike? T4 cameras in Witney or Swindon have some really good deals on D90 most of the time. They're my local shops and are 100%.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Unless you can save a significant amount by getting the Refurbished D90, it would make more sense to go with the new D90 body and get the new camera warrenty.

mikew_RIP

The decision has been nearly made although the order not placed yet,new D90 but just thinking through the D7000 although i dont think it will offer me any thing extra i want.

mike

Deezey

The decision has been nearly made although the order not placed yet,new D90 but just thinking through the D7000 although i dont think it will offer me any thing extra i want.

mike

Mmmm....I bought a D90. I absolutely love this camera. But I would love to own a D7000/7100.

Don't get me wrong. The D90 is a great camera. But the D7000 series are just better. Think a little more about the D7000. Think of it as thinking more now vs regretting later.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I own a D90 and just recently asked on here if I should sell it and get a D7000. After reading all the replies I got
I decided to keep my D90 and save up for a decently priced used D700 FF body and keep my D90m as a backup.

Deezey

I own a D90 and just recently asked on here if I should sell it and get a D7000. After reading all the replies I got
I decided to keep my D90 and save up for a decently priced used D700 FF body and keep my D90m as a backup.

I wouldn't sell a D90 for a D7000. But I would buy a D7000 over the D90.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Mycenius

I wouldn't sell a D90 for a D7000. But I would buy a D7000 over the D90.

Agreed! I just upgraded from D90 to D7100 and even that was a close call... I considered going the D7000 route but it just didn't make sense since I had a D90, it was either step up the new D7100 or wait for the next model up in 18 months (or the mythical D400 to go FX). If you are new to the series, or coming from a D3000/5000 series model then the D7000 or even a D90 at a good price is worth considering, but if you already have a D90 I think there is more value in stepping up to a D7100 or putting your money into good (fast) glass! :)

John Alfred

Not particularly in Nikon devices but when it is about electronic devices, the new one is always preferred over the refurbished and used ones.