Nikon Newb

Tewy

Hi everyone,

Im Tewy from Westoning near Milton Keynes. I have also been into photography but mainly film until now. I did A-Level photography about 15 years ago and since then have used lomo cameras, such as LC-A and Holga.

Now I have fallen in love with Nikon DSLRS but I have yet to choose, my rough budget is £500 - £700 and I am unsure of which model to go for.

Look forward to seeing you on the board,

Tewy

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Tewy and welcome! I'm not familiar with UK pricing so I'm sure someone else will jump in - that's the way this site tends to operate. :)

What type of pictures do you like to take? Based on that, I'd let lens selection be a big part of the body selection. Let us know!

Tewy

Hi Eduard,

I like a combo of styles, from cliche sunsets/skylines,cloudpatterns/countryside views etc, to unusual and strange compositions. I take a mix to be honest. I like playing around and experimenting. I used to do alot of X-Processing etc with the toy cameras. Washed out colours, etc

My main questions are whats best for me out of D90, D3100 AND D5000 all of which seems acheivable in my budget give or take a few quid. I like the D90 but wonder if its a bit old now and about to be superceeded by the D7000. The same with the D3100 having more MP than the D5000. I want to get something that isnt outdated in the bext 12 months, Aghhhhhhhhhhh, decisions decisions.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The D7000 appears to be another in a long line of great enthusiast camera bodies. As you said, very new but great early reviews. If I had to decide between the D3100, D5000 (which is being discontinued) and the D90, personally I'd select the D90. The reason that I'd select the D90 is that it supports all modern Nikon lenses because it has a built-in AF motor.

Check out this link: Template:Nikon DSLR cameras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Tewy and welcome to the Nikonites Community. As Eduard has suggested we need to know what type or style of photography do you like? Nikon has a wide range of bodies and lenses to choose from. If you have never used a Nikon DSLR before and not sure what style of photography you want to do, I might suggest you purchase the best body you can afford with a kit lens. That way you can learn all of the Nikon DSLR functions and features and then branch out into the type of lens that will give you the photos you are most interested in. If you already know where your interests lie then lens selection will be most important.

Joseph Bautsch

OK, you and Eduard exchanged replies before I saw them. Eduard is right you would will not go wrong with a D90. However everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop. The D90 has been around for a while and the question is will there be a replacement soon? I have the D90 and it does everything I need. I do printing for photography shows. With the D90 I can crop and enlarge to any size I need and still get excellent show quality prints. As far as mega pixels are concerned more is not necessarily better.

Ruidoso Bill

Hello Tewy and welcome to Nikonites! Glad you stopped in and hope to see you 'round the forum. The forums by model will give you lots of hands on user experience with specific models. Sometimes user experience is so much more helpful than the lofty reviews. Read around, ask questions and enjoy.

Raceylacy

Hi Tewy - in view of your budget, I'd recommend the D90. I see you're in Milton Keynes - I'm from Hemel originally, but escaped to West Wales! lol!

Sandi

Red Kite

Oh another neighbour!!! Hi Tewy! I moved to West Wales 9 years ago from Harlington, the next village to you. Small world eh? I know Hemel too Sandi,.
... used to visit friends there in my married days. Guess you moved to Wales because Hemel is not so photogenic huh? ;) Welcome both to Nikonites.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures Tewy.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Welcome, Tewy to the forum! As you can see, there's a lot of help to be found here. Good luck with your camera choice . . . D90 is a good one . . . by the way, I shoot with a D2x and D200 and love them both (even though they're out of production)

Best Regards

Curt

Hello and welcome to the site, out of production does not mean a camera is out dated?? I have a D200 & a D80 I love them both. Sometimes you can find a fantastic deal on a out of production model. But you can't go wrong with a D90 or the new D7000. It really depends on what your budget is. Good luck, I am sure you can't go wrong with any of the Nikon models out there :).