Buy a D7100 or go Full Frame?

Samsonite

Hi All,

After shooting with my D5100 for about 10 months, and purchasing some pro glass (Nikon 24 - 70 F2.8 and Nikon 70 - 200 F2.8 VR), ive now decided I want a body more suited to what Im making some money from, which is sports photography (Motorsport, BMX, etc). I was considering going to Full Frame, as my mate who is a pro photographer told me to do, he said its just much better than a DX body. Considering my current Budget I started looking at the D600 (D800 is a bit too expensive for me at the moment). I have compared both of these to the D7100 on the Nikon Website, from the comparison, the D7100 seems to tick more of the right boxes for me, such as:

. 6 FPS continuous shooting (Highest)
. Crop sensor means I can get some decent Telephoto shots with my existing lenses thanks to the crop factor (To get the equivalent focal length on an FX Body would costs a couple of thousands more in glass)
. 24MP (Same as D600)
. Dual SD Card Slots (Like the D600)
. 100% Viewfinder (Like the D600)
. Upto 1/8000 Shutter Speed (More than D600)
. 51 AF points (More than D600)
. Higher resolution LCD

The plan was always to eventually have both a DX body and an FX body, but seeing as the D7100 is the undisputed best DX Body, I was thinking of selling on my D5100, buying the D7100 as my main body, then eventually going for something a step ahead of the D600 / D800 such as the D3 or D4 in the future (not any time soon.....)

What do you guys think?

I know a lot of people (Including my mate) will say FX is just a whole new class of camera, but considering my needs, the D7100 seems to be perfect right now.....

Opinions appreciated!

AC016

This is just me thinking out loud and please don't take offence: i get tired of this debate. I am not sure why people have to ask permission to spend there own money. I think you really want to go fx, so do it. If you can afford and it won't put you out on the street, go out and get one.

FastGlass

Well sounds like you've answered your own question. Go with the 7100. Going full frame you will loose the reach of all you're current lenses plus the 70-200mm lense you have will vignet on a full frame.

Samsonite

No offense taken at all, what Im saying is I think the D7100 might actually be better than a d600 in my case... Just wondering of you guys agree or not....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

AC016

No offense taken at all, what Im saying is I think the D7100 might actually be better than a d600 in my case... Just wondering of you guys agree or not....

​yeah, but i think you may not like the buffer issue. Other than that, the d600 will have slightly better image iq because of its fx sensor. It's the glass that you are really going to have to think about

Krs_2007

Buffer issue on the 7100 and the generation 70-200 you have does vignette on the FX cameras, at least thats what I read. They say the gen II doesn't vignette. Not speaking from experience but sharing my research experience.

Epoc

If your shooting sports, you probably shoot jpeg. If that's the case, buffer issue becomes no issue. You want the best AF system you can get. Go the 7100 now, update to D4 when you can afford it. Or if you must go FX, look for a low shot D700.

Horoscope Fish

I think going from a D5100 to a D7100 was huge leap for me. The D7100 is just such a better camera than my D5100, and in so many ways, I can't even TELL you. I don't know if it's that the D7100 has no low-pass filter, or what, but the image quality is SIGNIFICANTLY better (and I mean with every lens in my bag) than what I was getting out of my D5100. Then there are the features... Just little things like having two card slots, all the extra buttons that make changing settings so much easier than plowing through menus... I'm spoiled by the D7100 now and could never go back to a D5100. You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Now, all that being said... If I had the money for an FX body, and couple decent lenses, I'd go FX and never look back hands down. Full stop. I think FX is, simply put, an entirely different level. All the photo's I've seen that have come out of FX body cameras, both Canon and Nikon, have an image quality that is far, far better than anything I've seen put out by a DX sensor camera. If I was going to go pro, and I mean if I was really going to take the plunge and do it... I'd go with a full frame body. But for me, I'm a hobbyist. I have no real dreams nor aspirations of going full professional so I had to set some kind of logical limit on what I could spend; and going full frame, for me, was simply more than I could justify for what photography is in my life. But that's me. If you want to be a professional moving to the FX format might be more an "investment" than an expenditure...

Last edited:

stmv

my choice,,, 7100 or save for the D800e.. bu a 7100 is a nice step up from the 5100,,, get used to the features of the 7100 first.. but frankly,, they are all good,

FastGlass

Yes the 70-200mm gen 1 vignets on my D3s. Not sure if it vignets on all full frame but why wouldn't it. There all the same. Good luck on your decision.

WhiteLight

Since you are asking for suggestions, here is mine-
You do have glass that is built for the FX, which means in the future sooner than later you would go for a full frame.
Even if you do buy a D7100 now, you'd probably still want to go full frame sooner or later.
Save up on some more & go for the D800E.
You'll certainly be completely happy & you'll probably never want to update or at least not for a very long time.
That, in my opninion is the best way forward.
Think of the money you'll be spending if you get a 7100 now & upgrade to FX soon.

crashton

I'm going to repeat what has been said, but here goes. For motorsport I'd be getting the D7100. It is a light year ahead of the D5100. As you have found out the D5100 isn't your best option for motorsport, its AF is a tad slow among other things. The crop factor with DX is very nice too. Extra reach is a plus. As far as buffer goes, shoot jpeg & use the fastest cards you can get.

jwstl

I think the word you are looking for is "vignette". And, yes, first 70-200 VR has sharpness issues with the corners on FX bodies due to vignetting. If corners are important to you then consider the 70-200 VR a DX lens. In sports, the corners are usually less important so it may not matter. What does usually matter in sports is a durable body capable of fast shooting. So I'd choose a body based on those requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

STM

Unless you are planning on ditching your current lenses for FX ones, it makes no sense to switch to full frame. You will have to use a "DX crop" because your current glass is not compatible with full frame because it is not designed to throw a sufficiently large image onto the sensor to cover an FX sensor. You will have to settle for a 7100.

Samsonite

I must not have done my homework properly, because I was under the impression the 24-70 and 70-200 were both professional/FX glass....

jwstl

I must not have done my homework properly, because I was under the impression the 24-70 and 70-200 were both professional/FX glass....

Both the lenses you have are considered FX lenses. The only issue is the corner sharpness of the 70-200 on FX bodies due to vignetting. The 24-70 is a wonderful FX lens and so is the 70-200 as long as you don't mind those corner issues. Nikon updated the 70-200 with VRII and also addressed the vignetting which makes the VRII better on FX. Like I said, if corners are important, considering your 70-200 a DX lens though it really isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD