Travel camera suggestions

White Canvas

Hi I'm relatively new to site, but I hoped with so many experts you might be able to give me some advice.

I travel quite a bit in the developing world with my work and would love to capture some of what I see. So I can use it for talks, etc when I come home. However I'm not keen on dragging my D5100 and lens with me and sometimes big cameras draws to much attention or take up too much space.

So I wondered if there was a quality camera you guys could recommend that has similar creative controls to a DSLR, produces sharp images, light, small and affordable. Ideally I would prefer to stay with Nikon because i am familiar with the manual controls, but would consider another brand if it better suited my needs.

If you had some suggestions or if you already owe a camera you keep for travel. I would welcome your recommendations.

MrF

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the Fuji X series for the same reason. Something that I can throw in a coat pocket, but with some creative control to it. The X-100 gets great reviews, but it's a fixed focal length (28mm equivalent I think). The X-20 has a zoom lens, but not as large a sensor as the X-100. Now that the X-20 is out, the one I've been eying the most is the X-10. Down to $369 USD last time I looked. I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience with these or other recommendations.

AC016

Fuji also has the XM-1. But I find some of the lenses are a bit over-priced. Sony Nex series would be another choice. You can also look at Olympus and Panasonic does pretty good with their GF series.

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

My brother has a Canon G11 that is often referred to as "the brick" due to its ruggedness. He is very happy with the results he gets from it and he doesn't have to pamper it. He has indicated that it is a good travel camera.

The G11 may not be available new any longer, but I believe that it is replaced by the G12. You might like to look into either of these further.

WM

Nikon Photographer

I've just bought the Nikon P7100 for the very same reason, I'm off to Turkey in 9 weeks time and didn't want to lug my D90 and lenses over there, I did look at other models but the P7100 has an optical viewfinder, something a lot of camera's don't seem to have today, I was going to buy one a couple of years ago, but then it was selling for around £400, I picked mine up from Amazon for £244.

Fred Kingston

I carry a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5... Panasonic makes the same camera and badged for Leica... The controls are surprisingly close/same as the Nikons...

Fred Kingston

I don't know about that combination, but my SB-600 and SB-910a certainly work on my LX5... :)

Of course, the size of those lights makes holding the combination unwieldly... ;)

Phillydog1958

Consider the Nikon 1 cameras. They would allow for you to use some accessories from your D5100. The is also a attachment that allows you to use your DX and FX lenses on the Nikon 1 bodies. I don't use my FX lenses on my V2. I want portability, as you do. I have purchased a Nikon microphone which works on both of my cameras. The Nikon remote is also compatible with my D600 and V2.

Last edited:

AC016

Nikon 1 system is a good suggestion. However, it just does not match up to other offerings in the same price range. Unfortunately, the silly little cx sensor is it's downfall. On the plus side, as phillydog said, you would be able to use your nikkor lenses with adaptor.

Last edited:

White Canvas

Consider the Nikon 1 cameras. They would allow for you to use some accessories from your D5100. There is also have an attachment that allows you to use your DX and FX lenses on the Nikon 1 bodies. I don't use my FX lenses on my V2. I want portability, as you do. I have purchased a Nikon microphone which works on both of my cameras. The Nikon remote is also compatible with my D600 and V2.

I've just looked at the V1 on Amazon. It makes an interesting option at the lower price. I guess my concern is that I like the idea of combining kits, but I want to keep this camera very light but with good quality images. So I'm going to give it some serious thought.

White Canvas

Nikon 1 system is a good suggestion. However, it just does not match up to other offerings in the same price range. Unfortunately, the silly little cx sensor is it's downfall. On the plus side, as phillydog said, you would be able to use your nikkor lenses with adaptor.

If you were picking one camera that would suit what I'm looking which one would you suggest?

White Canvas

I've just bought the Nikon P7100 for the very same reason, I'm off to Turkey in 9 weeks time and didn't want to lug my D90 and lenses over there, I did look at other models but the P7100 has an optical viewfinder, something a lot of camera's don't seem to have today, I was going to buy one a couple of years ago, but then it was selling for around £400, I picked mine up from Amazon for £244.

Have you compared it with the P7700 or N1?

AC016

If you were picking one camera that would suit what I'm looking which one would you suggest?
Could you let us know what your budget is? personally, i would look at the sony NEX series. Do your research. You will find that nikons offering just does not stand up to the NEX series. snapsort.com is a good site.
Sony nex is great because it has an aps-c sensor, 16mp, same as your d5100.

Last edited:

White Canvas

Could you let us know what your budget is? personally, i would look at the sony NEX series. Do your research. You will find that nikons offering just does not stand up to the NEX series. snapsort.com is a good site.

I guess I prefer to keep the D5100 and lens as my main kit. So I'm looking a reasonable priced, good image quality camera as a second camera for purely travel and indoor events. The reduced price of the N1 is attractive, but the P7700 & x20 look good quality compacts at an affordable price. But I'm still very open to looking widely, so the Snapsort is a good suggestion for comparison. Thank you.

AC016

I guess I prefer to keep the D5100 and lens as my main kit. So I'm looking a reasonable priced, good image quality camera as a second camera for purely travel and indoor events. The reduced price of the N1 is attractive, but the P7700 & x20 look good quality compacts at an affordable price. But I'm still very open to looking widely, so the Snapsort is a good suggestion for comparison. Thank you.

Two solid choices. Healthier on the wallet to, since you don't have to get the lens seperately and you won't have to lug them around either.

fotojack

If I was to pick one point & shoot camera for travelling, it would be the (I hate to say this) Canon G12. Second choice would be the Panasonic Lumix.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

Don't under-estimate the CX sensor. . . it does a very nice job. Until I personally used one, I would have said the same. For a travel system at a reasonable price point, they are tough to beat. One of the huge pluses on the Nikon 1 system is the focus speed. I'd suggest looking at the Mirrorless Forum for more info and sample images.