RSA Tower Panorama

Three frame Vertical panorama.
I have been wanting to take this shot for a while and had planned it out before I went.

am concerned a little about the reflection since the front of the pool is cut off. Not sure with all the corrections that have to be done on perspective and room behind me that getting it all in is possible.

Camera Model: NIKON D5100
Lens: 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Image Date: 2013-07-01 20:35:25 +0000
Focal Length: 18mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.022 s (1/45)
ISO equiv: 6400

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)

rsa_panorama1.jpg

Hminx

I really like the first shot, it has a wonderful symmetry with just enough asymmetrical elements to give it interest. The brightness is also just about spot on IMO. Don have you thought about adding a small dark gradient from the bottom, this could soften the way the reflection leaves the bottom of the frame .

Kodiak

Hey Don,

This is an outstanding work!
Not because of the shot but because of the work! …it was planned, carried out and
executed with care.

Mind you, though the shot is ok to me, the value is in the work.

And since you went so far to achieve this, I shall presume that going further is your aim.

On this reduced and compressed file…
• I see no trace of stitching.
• I see a heavy presence of compression artifacts that is perfectly normal in web-format rendition.
• the tonal values are right on, except for the entrance that could be trimmed down a tad.
• I see a falloff in the upper right corner the is to be awaited in those light conditions.
• the WB is very well chosen. From all the other possibilities, this one works the best.
• the cut off pool is not a negative point in the shot, no concern there.
• the parallax correction is not at 100%.
• the rendition is very noisy, which confirms the declared ISO value and, along with the wide
apperture (declared as well), suggest 2 possibilities: either…
1. you worked handheld with high risk -which implies meticulous handling of the camera to finally
obtain such a flawless stitch or
2. you use a tripod (better for the stitching) and a wrong strategy in regard to the exposition.​

Hoping you do not feel having lost your time reading all this,

Vbrg,

Hey Don,

This is an outstanding work!
Not because of the shot but because of the work! …it was planned, carried out and
executed with care.

Mind you, though the shot is ok to me, the value is in the work.

And since you went so far to achieve this, I shall presume that going further is your aim.

On this reduced and compressed file…
• I see no trace of stitching.
• I see a heavy presence of compression artifacts that is perfectly normal in web-format rendition.
• the tonal values are right on, except for the entrance that could be trimmed down a tad.
• I see a falloff in the upper right corner the is to be awaited in those light conditions.
• the WB is very well chosen. From all the other possibilities, this one works the best.
• the cut off pool is not a negative point in the shot, no concern there.
• the parallax correction is not at 100%.
• the rendition is very noisy, which confirms the declared ISO value and, along with the wide
apperture (declared as well), suggest 2 possibilities: either…
1. you worked handheld with high risk -which implies meticulous handling of the camera to finally
obtain such a flawless stitch or
2. you use a tripod (better for the stitching) and a wrong strategy in regard to the exposition.​

Hoping you do not feel having lost your time reading all this.

Vbrg,

This was shot handheld for a reason. I was shooting late night in a downtown environment just to see if I could and to push the camera's limits since I had not done so with this camera before. I have also been pushing myself to learn more about post processing and seeing what I can achieve there. Nighttime vertical panorama of a 25 story building seem like a good place to try that.
I worked on the parallax correction and although it is probably not 100% it is pretty close and since I could not correct it before the stitching it was a little harder than before. I think using a kit 18-55 at 18 mm probably did not help the matter.
I have limited room to back up so that is not a possibility. I think next time I will use my 40mm fixed lens and a tripod. I may have to do 2 across and 5 down to get the shot but again the reason for the shot is to push myself to do things that are not easy.
I did print a 13X19 of this shot and it is beautiful AT NORMAL VIEWING distances you can not see the grain.