Grip for D7100

jpragsdale

I have recently purchased the D7100 and am contemplating getting the MB-D15 grip. However I am seeing 3rd party versions for a fraction of the price.

Does anyone have the Nikon, Meike or Pixel Vertax version? Is the nikon worth $270 vs $50 for the Meike and $100 for the Pixel Vertax?

Also, aside from the extra battery power, do you find the grip makes it easier or more comfortable taking vertical shots?

Is this ultimately another case of you get what you pay for?

Thanks!

I just recently purchased the MeiKe battery grip for my D90 and am delighted with the way it performs and fits. I get no squeaks/loose movement like some reviewers complained about and I only paid $24.00 for it compared to a couple-a-hundred for the Nikon grip. Note I only use genuine Nikon EN-EL3 batteries in it, not aftermatket ones. I highly recommend the MeiKe battery grip, as I have no complaints what so ever.

Yes the grip makes it way easier to take verticle shots, but the main reason I got mine is I have real big hands and it makes holding he D90 so much more secure feeling to me.

BTW ... I bought mine off of Amazon.com

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I have a Meike 3rd party grip for the D5100.. It does the job, basic plastic construction, functional but weak on build quality.

When I got the 7100, the Meike grips were out there and I wanted something a bit more substantial than that for the heavier built D7100. The Pixzel etc were just appearing at that time, I was unable to see one, there were no reviews to compare etc. I was seriously interested in one but could not find a comparison or see one. At the time I could afford it so I went and sprung for the Nikon Grip. I have absolutely no regrets, it works superb, you have battery controls (monitor & which battery is used 1st) nad the build quality is really solid. Is it over all better than the 3rd party? I would say yes, from what I have seen... on the other hand, the price they charge, they are very "proud".

If you are looking to save some money.. I would look for something in the $100 Pixel range as I believe you may get better quality than the Meike. I have nothing against the 3rd party units, I just chose to get the Nikon version.

Good luck, I like the extra "grip" I can get using the grips!!!

Pat in NH

Pretzel

Guy at the local shop recommends the Phottix brand grips. Dunno if they make one for the 7100 (haven't Googled yet), but know the one he had for the 3100 looked nice for not a lot of dough. Might be worth checking out.

Omri G.

I have the Meike grip, and so far (a full month...(-; ) it performs well.
Not the highest of material quality, but good enough for me

frtorres87

I have the MB-D15 and I absolutely love it.namazing build quality and it gives you the option to use double A batteries and the Nikon D7100 battery.

jpragsdale

Curious if you have made your mind on what you are going to get?? Pat in NH

I haven't fully decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the Pixel version. It's just a hard pill to swallow getting the nikon version. I guess with anything it's taking a chance not getting the Nikon version, but for the savings I'm thinking it may be worth the risk.

Horoscope Fish

Well I had the Meike grip on my D7100 for about twenty minutes before I sent it back. I must be the only person on the forums who doesn't like a battery grip. I reeeeeally tried to like the grip but I found it bulky, it didn't want to fit in my camera bag without me having to re-arrange everything else around it, I didn't like how hung at my body on my sling and I could not STAND the ergonomics of my camera when the grip was attached.

Without the grip, I can cradle the body on the last three fingers of left hand while my thumb and index finger stabilize things under the lens mount. My right hand grips the camera, but it stays loose and is free to adjust dials and buttons. Doing vertical shots, really, is no issue for me and I have some pretty decent sized hands.

Battery life is insane so I didn't really see the need to have two of them, but if I do switching batteries takes two seconds so that whole justification was out. That was pretty much the last straw for me.

I love how the 7100 feels in my hands as is so the grip, for me, was a huge leap backwards. But at least now I know.

Last edited:

Alx

'On the other hand" I find the grips completely natural for my hands and method of carry. I don't carry a camera on a strap ... if carrying just a camera and its lens, 'will be in a minimal camera bag, just large enough, but covered and protected for climbing, rain, or just to keep it out of sight when not shooting.
I buy a vertical grip for every camera body I get. 'Gives a better hold for stabilizing long lenses, when using a shoe-attached flash, and using rotator brackets; it protects the bottom of the camera from tripod screw hunting scratches, gives added battery capacity for longer endurance, stabilizes hand-held photos with added mass, distinguishes you from amateurs if you are shooting a wedding, or doing any sort of professional work.
And it provides the capability to use AA batteries, alkalines, or lithium rechargeables, especially the universally available alkalines, in a pinch situation.

jpragsdale

So I ended up getting the Pixel version. I just got it today and have only taken a few shots, but it seems to work great. All of the dials operate as expected. SO far I am very happy with the purchase. I would recommend it to anyone seeking an alternative to the overpriced Nikon version.

Patrick M

I got the Nikon MB-D15 too
Build quality is pretty impressive. It comes with two battery holders, one for the standard battery and the other for rechargeable batteries....and a leather pouch to keep it in. There's also a holder built in to store the plastic connection cover that you remove when using the grip. That's a neat idea. You can also select which of the two batteries gets used first...a feature I really like.
I have medium hands, and I do find the camera a little small. My little finger catches under the camera and often snags a plastic cover underneath. The grip makes a perfect fit.
My only negative is that with the grip fitted, the camera is too big for any of my daily Clara bags! Not a big deal, but I couldn't think of anything else

:)

Patrick

jsmalios

I also purchased the Pixel battery grip for my D7100 and i am very pleased with what i got! Very good built quality, robust, it feels very professional in your hand, locks very well in place and all the buttons work as they are supposed to! Love the fact that you dont have any cables interfering with your photography (had the Meike for my D3100 and had to connect the grip to the camera body with a cable, it worked fine but not the best, also mush more "plasticky" than the Pixel version). You get two battery holders with the grip, one for an extra original or after market battery and one for 8 AA batteries you can buy anywhere (or rechargable) + a small storage bag for the extra holder. It feels good in my hand both when shooting vertically and is not in my way when shooting horizontally. Love the fact that you can choose in camera whether you want to use your grip battery or the camera battery first! +++

If you want to save some money i absolutely recomend you get the Pixel which will give you a lot for about a 100 dollars, if not then you should go for the original MB-D15 for the price of about 300 dollar.

/Jiannis