First Engagement Shoot - Beach & Surrounding Area

gohan2091

Hello,

I'm doing my first engagement shoot this Sunday and the couple has selected a town (Cromer, Norfolk, UK) close to the beach.
I plan to shoot in the evening time, a couple of hours before sunset. I'll be under-exposing the background by about a stop and using a shoot-through off-camera SB-700 flash (triggered with my pop-up flash). Not all the photos would be on the beach but some will. I own a Nikon D7100 crop sensor camera and the following lenses:

Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR
Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC

I want to use only one lens (or possibly two at the most) so was wondering if you were doing this shoot, which two lenses out of the ones I own above would you bring and why? I want a combination of full body, 3/4 and head and shoulders. Also, do you think using wide open apertures such as F1.8, 2.8 would be too shallow for close up shots of the two of them?

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Here's my "sage" advice...for what it's worth ;) I would ditch the idea of a single lens and instead run with two of them. Engagement photos, much like wedding photos, are characterized by low depth of field and so the 50mm at f=1.8 would capture that "look" very nicely. The 50mm would also work well for waist up shots and the classic "hands making a heart shape with the sun in the center" as well as any full body shots you need. But you'll also want some head and shoulder shots and some macro shots of the ring(s) and the intertwined hands w/ rings showing and for that the 105mm macro would great (assuming the Sigma is a macro like the Nikkor).

​So I would pack both of these two lenses and try being systematic with the lens swaps. Also, bring a screen and a body to hold it, especially if it's a clear afternoon-evening. That way you can get some shots of the couple looking towards the sunset w/o that typical squinting you often see.

gohan2091

Thanks both of you for the replies. Dave, what do you mean by a screen and a body to hold it? Would f1.8 be suitable for full body and waist up shots? The 105mm 2.8 is a macro lens yes.

Dave_W

The Dude
By screen I mean a semi-translucent screen to block the harshness of the sun. I have a reflector that converts into a screen when I remove the reflective surface. That way you can take advantage of the angular sun coming straight on but not worry about your subjects having to squint.

Here's the reflector/screen that I use. Perhaps not the best one on the market but it's more than enough for me.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...onics&field-keywords=Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1

Last edited:

gohan2091

I have a 5 in 1 reflector with a diffusion panel inside. The problem is, how can I shoot and hold it at the same time? About squinting eyes, I'd position the couple away from the sun, so why would their eyes squint? It's also going to be in the evening time when the sun is low in the sky. I do have a reflector arm that attaches to my lightstand but I've not looked into how to attach it. Do you still think it's necessary?

Would f1.8 be suitable for full body and waist up shots?

Dave_W

The Dude
I have a 5 in 1 reflector with a diffusion panel inside. The problem is, how can I shoot and hold it at the same time?

That's the part where I mentioned a "body" along with the screen.

As for necessary or not, that's a total judgement call. I like to have my subjects looking toward the sea as the sun sets (here the sun sets into the sea) and since the sun is coming in directly at their faces giving them that nice warmth, I've found a screen helps. But whether or not it's necessary, that's a answer only you can answer.