I pulled the trigger

Mike150

I finally did it. I've been trying to convince the boss for a new camera for well over a year now. First with the D7000 and then the D7100.

Nothing worked so I changed tactics. Instead of asking for $1500, I asked for $250 to buy a lens. She agreed and I placed an order for the 50mm F/1.8G. I added a couple of filters in the order but Shhhhhh... Don't tell her.

Now I have to wait for the 10 day shipping.

Maybe I should ask for the money to buy a D4 for a while and then switch back to the D7100???

Mike150

Where did you order from that takes 10 days????? :eek:

​Mars????

It's coming from B&H in New York, which is about the same...
They're standard shipping statement is 8 to 10 days. I've found it varies based on what's being shipped and where. Here in the mountains of Virginia, everything has to be brought in by Pack Mule for final delivery.

riverside

They're standard shipping statement is 8 to 10 days. I've found it varies based on what's being shipped and where. Here in the mountains of Virginia, everything has to be brought in by Pack Mule for final delivery.

Doesn't seem to matter where you're at. I'v used the current free shipping programs from B&H and Adorama to Oregon and it's 9-10 days. They ship by UPS/Fedex truck to a Eastern regional center, truck it to three different Western centers and then to the regional USPS office near me. From there USPS trucks it to my nearest town where its delivered by USPS.

Mike150

I don't have Amazon Prime, and I can wait the 8-10 days. I've also had problems with Amazon Vendors in the past, so I try to avoid them if I have an alternative.
I've never had a problem with B&H or Adorama.

riverside

I don't have Amazon Prime, and I can wait the 8-10 days. I've also had problems with Amazon Vendors in the past, so I try to avoid them if I have an alternative.
I've never had a problem with B&H or Adorama.

I avoid Amazon because its one of the prime movers behind legislation to collect internet sales taxes for all states and municipalities by destination rather than origination points.

Fred Kingston

No... You don't have too have Amazon's Prime to order at those prices/delivery options... And just for info purposes... Both Adorama and B&H Photo sell their products through Amazon... in fact, Adoram is listed as one of the vendors fot that lens... and they've bumped up their shipping... But there are 19 other vendors selling that lens on Amazon, cheaper than Amazon with guaranteed 2 day delivery... :eek:

Amazon gets better UPS rates than B&H... and sometimes, depending on the product and margin, B&H will actually sell product on Amazon cheaper than on their own site, using Amazon's shipping which is cheaper...

riverside

No... You don't have too have Amazon's Prime to order at those prices/delivery options... And just for info purposes... Both Adorama and B&H Photo sell their products through Amazon... in fact, Adoram is listed as one of the vendors fot that lens... and they've bumped up their shipping... But there are 19 other vendors selling that lens on Amazon, cheaper than Amazon with guaranteed 2 day delivery... :eek:

Amazon gets better UPS rates than B&H... and sometimes, depending on the product and margin, B&H will actually sell product on Amazon cheaper than on their own site, using Amazon's shipping which is cheaper...

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but the ones I see on Amazon here all say eligible for 8-10 day super savings shipping. Prime membership does offer free two-day shipping.

Mike150

OK, my apologies for opening a shipping can of worms. My intention was to celebrate my purchase, not cause Rifts.
Mr Moderator If you'd like to close this, you may.

Fred Kingston

OK, my apologies for opening a shipping can of worms. My intention was to celebrate my purchase, not cause Rifts.
Mr Moderator If you'd like to close this, you may.

​It's not a Rift Milke... just disseminating information so that others may understand... It is a great lens BTW... :)

Dave_W

The Dude
I avoid Amazon because its one of the prime movers behind legislation to collect internet sales taxes for all states and municipalities by destination rather than origination points.

I don't think that's quite accurate. Last I saw Amazon would pitching a fit over internet sales taxes because that would cut into one of their main advantages over B&M. In fact, it took the supreme court of CA to force them to collect California taxes, making places like B&H and Adorama attractive again.

riverside

I don't think that's quite accurate. Last I saw Amazon would pitching a fit over internet sales taxes because that would cut into one of their main advantages over B&M. In fact, it took the supreme court of CA to force them to collect California taxes, making places like B&H and Adorama attractive again.

They reversed that position due to nexus (their fulfillment centers) being in too many states (with more to come) where sales tax liability is a fact. Here's an update. From what I read the bill will die in the house.

JudeIscariot

Really? That's surprising. I live in MD and standard shipping from B&W to here is two days via UPS, which is always cheaper than FedEx and only about 30 cents more than USPS.

Now, if you ordered on a Friday, you're going to add two days to the shipping because they won't be packaging it until Sunday due to being closed for the Jewish sabbath, and then it won't actually get on a truck until Monday.

Of course, uhm duh... You ordered on July 1st apparently, so that doesn't apply. However, there is a holiday in the middle of the week, so yeah, your shipping time goes up because the 4th wasn't a business day, and the 5th isn't a true business day either to the shipping folks.

Mike150

Just for the record, it arrived today. 7 days. counting the holiday and the weekend.
I'll take it home and perform an official un-boxing.