Brisbane City walkaround.

Ironwood

I was in Brisbane for a quick trip last week.
I went for a walk around the city with my camera, here are some shots I took, in no particular order.

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0759.jpg

Ironwood

These ones will be the last of this series that I will put up here, I took other shots, but they are either too similar to the others or they are not up to scratch.

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

DSC_0788.jpg

Epoc

Nice shots of my favourite city, but of course I'm biased. I actually saw the "cool dude" for the 1st time today myself. My immediate thought was, that'd make a good photo! :) Southbanks a good place for pics. Night shots can be quite spectacular. Did you enjoy your stay? Where part of this great state are you from, if you don't me asking?

Last edited:

Ironwood

Nice shots of my favourite city, but of course I'm biased. I actually saw the "cool dude" for the 1st time today myself. My immediate thought was, that'd make a good photo! :) Southbanks a good place for pics. Night shots can be quite spectacular. Did you enjoy your stay? Where part of this great state are you from, if you don't me asking?
I think if I gave each city I have been to, a score to rate them overall, Brisbane would come out on top. I have been to 28 different countries, so I have been to a few different cities, albeit a few years ago.

I passed St Johns Cathedral, and the Cool Dude in the taxi from the airport to my hotel, so I made the walk back in that direction, plenty to see around that part of the city.
I was only there for one night this time, for the "Stare of Origin" game, so my photo opportunities were limited to one afternoon.

I live near Mackay now, have for the last 10 years. It is a bit harder here to carry a camera around and take photos. Most people will look at you as though you are some kind of wierdo. Most people here dont appreciate you pointing a camera in their general direction either, so you got to be careful where and when you shoot.
All that aside, its a good place to live here, the climate is great.
The worst thing about this area, is the high cost of living, pushed up because of the coal mining industry on our doorstep. The mines bought me here, the company I was working for transferred me here to help start up a new mine. I have since left that company, but have stayed on in the area.

Epoc

Good to hear you liked Brisbane. I have lived here all my life and love it and agree also after extensive world travelling, it is a great city. I think because it is a vacation destination that people except cameras without any issues. You'd probably find the same around Airlie and the Reef, which by the way is one of my favourite places in the world. Ah the "100 Magic Miles". I have spent many a magical night aboard a chartered yacht roaming that area. I was in Mackay only 6 months ago for an engagement party. My wife's nephew works in the mines up there. It has become quite industrial compared to years ago when it was basically a sleepy costal town. I guess the mines have caused that.

Ironwood

Yes, Mackay certainly has changed in a fairly short time, and probably not for the better. House prices have increased 250 percent in the 10 years I have been here. The growth in Paget, Mackays industrial area, has to be seen to be believed. Huge sheds going up on every bit of available land.
A lot of people wont venture into the city centre at night because of the violence, not sure what it is, too many cashed up young blokes getting drunk and getting agro I guess for whatever reason.

I agree about Airlie Beach and the like, being tourist orientated, it is a bit more natural to be walking around with a camera. And the Islands off the coast are just beautiful.