First D600 Sensor Cleaning

Rick M

I hit 4,000 shots recently and decided to do the first "wet" clean on my D600. I have in the past blown off the dust and done a bit of "dry" cleaning with a micro-fiber covered Q-tip. I purchased the Visible dust sensor cleaning kit which comes with 4 Fx sensor swabs and enough solution for about 4 cleanings.

I took my test shot at f22, more extreme than my previous tests and cleaning at f16. I have had more dust than you would expect in a new DSLR, but I have not allowed it to ruin my life. This issue is far outweighed by it's superior sensor and size (to me). Yes a new DSLR for $2K should be perfect, blah, blah, blah, but that's not what this thread is about, D600 haters, hate somewhere else. Enough on that.

At f16 and below I was dealing with 3 stubborn spots that would not blow off. At f22 and extreme processing I found about 100 spots. Try this at home, you will find dust on every sensor.

So I started out by first blowing off the sensor and chamber. Next was two drops on the swab and 2 GENTLE passes flipping the swab over and going in the same direction. Test shot at f22, significant improvement, but my 3 stubborn friends where not phased. Ok, no more Mr. nice guy! I used the "used"swab again with another drop of fluild and did a general "scrubbing" with about as much pressure as you would use to clean your ear. I then used a second swab with fuild to do a "clean sweep". Another test shot at f22..., my dust friends are gone! There is a few specs I think from the process (I think they will dry and blow off), at f16, nothing is there.

I've decide to keep the second swab to become my first "scrubber swap" at my next cleaning. The kit worked well and at $25 for 3 cleanings it's not too expensive.

mikew_RIP

Found my faulty metering on the D70 is not faulty with the 105 macro on,the only problem was i had few blobs on the sensor one in particular would not move after three cleaning's,then i read your no more Mr nice guy and thought what the hell,scrubbed it and its now clean.

mike

Rick M

If I chose to not buy a D600 because of this issue, am I a hater? ;)

No :). Haters are people that just join sites to complain or rag on a product. Many times they don't even own the product they are bashing. It is normal to shy away from an issue and choose not to buy it, I have done that too. What bugs me is the people that make it sound like the end of the world. I was not happy about it, but I figured I can clean it (and should know how to in this hobby). Nikon seems to have a fix now and if I feel I need to, I'll get it done. At my rate of shooting, I'll have the next generation before I hit 12,000 clicks. Just no a big deal to me. Keep in mind most people use the internet to complain about problems, you don't hear much from the vast majority of happy users.

RogerThat99

I bought my D600 in May and have shot about 10,000 pictures with it. How often should you clean the sensor (number of shots)?

sent using Tapatalk.

Rick M

I bought my D600 in May and have shot about 10,000 pictures with it. How often should you clean the sensor (number of shots)?

sent using Tapatalk.

Really depends on usage and conditions. The more lens swapping, the more often you will need to clean it. Mine needed it at 4,000 shots with blowing off loose dust before that. I'm also scrutinizing it more than I have on any other body, so I probably should have cleaned my others more often also, but wasn't paying attention to it.

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
I had though about buying one when I got my D7000, I just didn't think I could justify the FF as I hadn't even learned how to shoot in the M mode yet, I thought it was just too big of a jump from the D60 (my point and shoot camera), but if I had of bought it I would simply have to learn how to clean it and get on with it.

BackdoorArts

If I chose to not buy a D600 because of this issue, am I a hater? ;)

No, just a coward. ;)

Just kidding, of course. No one wants to spend that kind of money and deal with something they're not comfortable with. But I have to say that the images are well worth the trouble. I've long since forgotten that I went 6+ weeks without mine to deal with 2 replacements.

vindex1963

Copperhill method is another option. I just cleaned my D700 for the first time and it does take patience but the end result is worth it. I used CH on my wife's D40 and my D300 both with good results.

MrRamonG

I bought my D600 in December 2012. I've done one wet clean and a few dry cleans. I don't really have any dust issues.

But to be accurate, I rarely shoot smaller than f11.

I couldn't be happier with the images I make with the D600. And since I don't see specs any more than I did with the D80, during process or post process, I am 100% satisfied. As Rick pointed out, if you look for them you will find them, but that goes for any DSLR.

Not denying that there is a dust or oil problem with the D600. Simply saying it hasn't diminished the quality of my images.

Last edited: