St Johns Cathedral Brisbane

Ironwood

I was in Brisbane on wednesday to watch a football game, I had a couple of hours to spare in the afternoon.
I walked the streets for a few blocks radius from my hotel looking for photo opportunities, I found this lovely old Cathedral.

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0727.jpg

Ironwood

Because I was rushing to try and fit so much in with so little time, I didn't compose most of these shots as well as I could have.
I am still learning.
In hindsight I could have positioned myself a lot better in some of the shots to minimise the effects of distortion with the wider shots.
All of the outdoor shots are using the 16-85VR Nikon.

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0729.jpg

Ironwood

Newer buildings have been built all around the Cathedral, it was hard at times to try and isolate it from the modern buildings.

DSC_0730.jpg

Ironwood

These indoor shots were with the 35 f1.8, @ f2.8 and iso 1600. I was granted permission to take photos inside.
I didn't have a tripod with me so all shots are handheld, no flash.
There was a service being conducted in one end, and other people praying, so I tried to stay as unobtrusive as possible.
The majority of my shots of the stained glass windows are unusable so were deleted, which is a shame as they were beautiful to look at.

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

Ironwood

Go the mighty Maroons!! Some nice shots there mate :)

Thanks Ian, the subject helps to make them nice.

One more game to win to make it 8 years in a row . If they can play like that again, we will have it in the bag.
I gotta admit, I was a bit worried after game one.

Ironwood

In the brochure I picked up at the front desk, it says the foundation stone was laid in 1901, it was built in three stages.
1906-1910, 1964-1968, 1989-2009. They say it is likely to be the last neo-Gothic building to be completed in the world.

The lady at the desk said work was still being done, as there are sculptures still to be put in on the plinths that are in the recesses above the front entrances.

Ironwood

Brad, EXCELLENT series on the cathedral.. It was nice how you also captured the "old & new", what a contrast!

Pat in NH

Thanks Pat. Definitely a contrast of old and new in that city block.

Some of the photos look better in b&w as it camouflages the new somewhat. An example is the first photo.

Epoc

Thanks Ian, the subject helps to make them nice.

One more game to win to make it 8 years in a row . If they can play like that again, we will have it in the bag.
I gotta admit, I was a bit worried after game one.

Same here. Game 1 was a shocker but you knew that the quality of players they have, they'd bounce back. Well I was praying they would anyways. :)

Ironwood

Same here. Game 1 was a shocker but you knew that the quality of players they have, they'd bounce back. Well I was praying they would anyways. :)

With 50,000 maroon fans roaring in the stadium they had the crowd behind them. Here's some of the Maroon Army getting primed before the game...

DSC_0767.jpg