AF Light showing up in picture

JohnB

Was out for a walk the other evening with the J1, low light, close to dusk, I took some pictures looking back at the sunset. The green AF assist light came on which is normal; but I don't think that it is normal that it showed up in pictures; look at these examples. Any idea why this is happening?

DSC_0614.jpgDSC_0615.jpg

JohnB

ok, I understand that it is flare, and expected as I was looking right at the sun; but why is it green? I thought the AF assist beams were invisible to the sensor?

JohnB

ok thanks. I understand what lens flare is.

Just want to clarify, the AF assist beam on the J1 is green, not red like most Nikon's. When I half-way press the shutter the green beam appears, it is supposed to go away when the shutter is fully pressed and the picture is taken. I was just surprised to see the green in the picture, instead of orange or red.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Simple, take another picture at the same distance and angle but without the sun. If it's still there we're all wrong. Other wise my dear Watson it is the obvious answer... sun flare.

Geoffc

ok thanks. I understand what lens flare is.

Just want to clarify, the AF assist beam on the J1 is green, not red like most Nikon's. When I half-way press the shutter the green beam appears, it is supposed to go away when the shutter is fully pressed and the picture is taken. I was just surprised to see the green in the picture, instead of orange or red.

DSLRs have a white AF light.

BackdoorArts

Definitely flare, and if you look closely it's prismatic, not just green, aligned with the angle to the sun with the red furthest from the source and the blue & violet at the nearest point.

JohnB

I agree that it is lens flare, no doubt about it, as I was looking right into the sun.

I remember seeing the green spot in the viewfinder, as I set-up the shot, when I pressed the shutter the green spot stayed in the picture. Somehow some residual light got into the lens. The only thing I can think of is that my left hand got in the way of the light and caused it to disperse across the lens, the light is positioned in the top right corner, not an ideal location and my hands are big:

nikon-j1-1.jpg

Anyways, not a big deal, it did show up in other pictures as well that evening from that same spot, but not all of them. Thanks all for your input.

Last edited: