Megapixels ??

omegabri

Hi all

I'm thinking of upgrading my D90.
Does anyone know if there is anything in the pipeline for the D300/D300s that might involve a new bigger chip nearer 18/20 megapixels??
I notice the D7000 has a new 16 megapixel chip. Are Nikon going to bring there pro. range up to speed I wonder!?!?

Brian

Last edited:

ZakSaenzPhotography

Hi all

I'm thinking of upgrading my D90.
Does anyone know if there is anything in the pipeline for the D300/D300s that might involve a new bigger chip nearer 18/20 megapixels??
I notice the D7000 has a new 16 megapixel chip. Are Nikon going to bring there pro. range up to speed I wonder!?!?

Brian

I haven't heard but would think this would be the case in another year probably. The reason why Nikon has for the most part stayed away of the megpixel race is they realize that great images have nothing to do with large megapixel sensors but more of pixel/sensor quality. My personal opinion is that I prefer the 12 megapixel sensor for its light gathering qualities over sensors with maximum pixels squished onto them. Also more pixels does not mean higher quality or sharpness. Nikon does realize though that lots of pixels has caused some to falsly think that this means its better so they have rethought it for the sake of adding sales. A 12 megapixel image can be easily made into a billboard size image in this day and age without a loss of quality.

Zak