Light bleed - I need stitches STAT! - daytime long exposure

Moab Man

I knew light bleed can be an issue on some cameras, but hadn't run into it on my D5100. However, my D7100 bleeds light like you hit an artery. I know the instruction manual identifies this and that you should use the the included shield. My point in this post is not to bash on the camera, or Nikon, but to show others what it looks like so someone isn't trying to troubleshoot it in the field as I did before I remembered that this can happen and figured it out.

LightBleedD7100.jpg

Last edited:

Moab Man

Dave_W: Moab - did you make this image with the banding? If so, what precautions did you use to for the viewfinder?

I didn't make the photo. The red banding came courtesy of my uncovered view finder. This was my first photo on the D7100 in broad daylight with long exposure and a neutral density filter. First I thought it was from my adjustable ND filter because I have vertical black banding when not used within its range.

Then I swapped lenses with no idea how that could have anything to do with it.

Finally, I remembered watching a video on super long daytime exposure and the photographer talked about possible light bleed. So I did a test shot with my thumb over the viewfinder and VOILA!... that was it.

So to take my shot, it's one of my 365 days, I stood there with my bank card over the viewfinder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_W

The Dude
Unless the viewfinder is shut down tight, light will leak in. With that in mind, doesn't the D7100 have a viewfinder cover thingie that you pull the pin down and it brings down a light proof shutter? If I remember right, i think the D7000 had one...maybe?

MrRamonG

Since you wrote in white on the area affected by the light bleed, it looks like an advertisement of some sort. It looks like the purple/pink/fuchsia was added post process.

STM

That is interesting, I have never seen this in my D700. I take it the 5100 does not have eyepiece shutter blinds like the D700, though I have never used them.

Epoc

D7000 doesn't have a built in eye piece cover. It comes with a slip on one though. The D700 does have a built in slide/cover. Saying that, I have never used either on either camera and have no problem with light leakage.

RockyNH_RIP

I knew light bleed can be an issue on some cameras, but hadn't run into it on my D5100. However, my D7100 bleeds light like you hit an artery. I know the instruction manual identifies this and that you should use the the included shield. My point in this post is not to bash on the camera, or Nikon, but to show others what it looks like so someone isn't trying to troubleshoot it in the field as I did before I remembered that this can happen and figured it out.

View attachment 42125

Moab, thanks for that information! I appreciate it!

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

I've gotten bleeding with every camera I have, so I'm surprised you don't have it with the D5100. I don't get it every time, just if I have direct light hitting the viewfinder. I don't necessarily have to cover it, only block that light source. Perhaps you've just been fortunate with the D5100 to have never had a direct light source hit the viewfinder? Stick an ND filter on there and shoot with the sun at your back and I bet it leaks. ;)

I hate using the cover because it's such a pain to pop on and off, especially in situations where it can fall somewhere only to be swept away (water, docks, etc.).I'll usually just cup my hand over it (not touching the camera) or use a baseball cap.

AC016

This can happen on any camera where the viewfinder is not covered. Thanks for letting us see the results though.

BackdoorArts

Unless the viewfinder is shut down tight, light will leak in. With that in mind, doesn't the D7100 have a viewfinder cover thingie that you pull the pin down and it brings down a light proof shutter? If I remember right, i think the D7000 had one...maybe?

If only. The non-pro bodies don't have it, not the D7000 or D600. It's such a smart addition, but I guess they like to sell parts when folks lose the cover.

Horoscope Fish

My 7100 came with a viewfinder insert, but it's like a hot-shoe cover: you have to insert it and remove it and it would be the easiest thing in the world to lose. I'm sure Nikon would be happy to sell me a replacement for $30, though, should I ever lose it.

RockyNH_RIP

My 7100 came with a viewfinder insert, but it's like a hot-shoe cover: you have to insert it and remove it and it would be the easiest thing in the world to lose. I'm sure Nikon would be happy to sell me a replacement for $30, though, should I ever lose it.

Yep, I am sure I have one for my 7100 and 5100... I should put then in a ziplock in my photo kit so I can at least find them!

Pat in NH

Dave_W

The Dude
Re: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Pet Peeve Alert!

The word is, voilà. It's French for "see there" or, more loosely, "there it is".

Maybe he was talking about the onion and just forgot the second "walla"? 'Cause them is some good onions (of course the word "onion" is pronounced with a heavy New Orleans accent ~ala Justin Wilson) :D

Horoscope Fish

Re: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Maybe he was talking about the onion and just forgot the second "walla"? 'Cause them is some good onions (of course the word "onion" is pronounced with a heavy New Orleans accent ~ala Justin Wilson) :D
Great. Just... Great.

I've got that song stuck in my head now. You've heard it, right... The one about the girl named Vidalia?

Yeah, that one. I hope it gets stuck in YOUR head now.

Moab Man

​I wish it had the set up. I have to remove the eye piece and slide a clip in. Going to fabricate something easier to work with.