Fireworks from a boat

Davinci428

Hi all,

I will be taking a fireworks cruise in two weeks and was wondering if anybody could suggest a couple of settings for taking handheld shots with my d3200. I have an 18-55 and 55-300 lens with a wide angle adapter as well. I already checked with the company and they said tripods are not allowed on the boat.

Thank you!
Randy

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

18 - 55 probably will be your best bet but that all depend on how close you are to the action. The best fireworks shots I have ever gotten was when I was ten miles away shooting with a 55-200.

fireworks_1547.jpg

FastGlass

You will absolutley need a tripod. When shooting fireworks, your ISO is set to 200 and your aperture is usually set to about f-11 - f-16. With those settings your shutter is going to be well below the point of hand held shots. Not sure how you would ever accomplish that without a tripod. There was a previouse post about shooting fireworks and a link was listed with it. I would check it out. Good luck.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I wish you luck, but I don't think you're going to pull it off doing it hand held and in a boat. I don't know how big the boat is but even on a clam night the boat is moving.

You can't bring a tripod what about a monopod? If I was forced into this type of set up I go with a monopod and knowing that boat bounce up and down I would not get my hopes up for any really good photos.

I dare you to prove me wrong and post some good shots, I really wish you a lot of luck.

Davinci428

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. Here are a couple of the ones that came out. I ended up going with the 55-300 lens and had it set to Shutter Priority. I went back and forth between 1/15 and 1/25. We just got back the other day which is why it took so long to respond.

DSC_0520.jpgDSC_0523.jpgDSC_0538.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Thank you everybody for the suggestions. Here are a couple of the ones that came out. I ended up going with the 55-300 lens and had it set to Shutter Priority. I went back and forth between 1/15 and 1/25. We just got back the other day which is why it took so long to respond.

View attachment 45252

This one particularly would have been even nicer if you lowered your lens a little allowing more of the reflection to show up in the photo. Of course, you can't tell ahead of time just how high those fireworks will go in the sky. Looks like you had a great time! :)