Chicago Architecture Boat Tour - Lens suggestions

Rouxdy

We have a 9am booking in late July. My lenses are in my sig, I'd like to only take two on the boat.

​Suggestions??

Personally I'd take the Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G and the Nikkor 18-55mm F/3.5-4.5G lenses.
This way your covered from 18mm to 300mm. Although the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 would be a great 3rd lens to take!

I think I would take the Sigma 10-20mm f/4.5-6 EX DC H so you can get the wide angle and then the 55-300 for everything else. Although the 18-55 would probably be the best bet.

Horoscope Fish

Personally I'd take the Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G and the Nikkor 18-55mm F/3.5-4.5G lenses.
This way your covered from 18mm to 300mm. Although the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 would be a great 3rd lens to take!
Hard to argue with this logic.

Personally, I wouldn't feel under-gunned, at all, with the aforementioned 18-55/55-300 combo. I mean really, sweating 8mm of WA? Screw that... Get the shot, crop to perfection when, and if, required.

JohnB

Yes, but that Sigma is so sweet at 10mm. I have been to Chicago, that boat cruise will take take you past some great architecture. If it was me I would take all three, even if I had to carry one in my pocket or my significant others' purse.

Mycenius

Guys & Gals,

On a related note, I am hoping to make a flying visit to Chicago late Sept or first week of Oct - will this tour still be operating then? Would someone mind posting a link to their website or info?

I am visiting NYC and hoping to tour some battlefields (Gettysburg, Antietam), then quickly doing Niagara Falls & 2-3 days in Chicago before heading to SF for my return home... Appreciate any info. :)

JohnB

Are you driving to Niagara Falls and driving to Chicago? PM me if you want some information on the Falls. For one thing, you have to go the Canadian side to see the best sights. Lots to do in the area depending on what you are interested in doing.

Mycenius

Are you driving to Niagara Falls and driving to Chicago? PM me if you want some information on the Falls. For one thing, you have to go the Canadian side to see the best sights. Lots to do in the area depending on what you are interested in doing.

Another vote for the Canadian side! Much more to do and see!

Thanks Guys! Bajan, I will do (as soon as I have a firmer itinerary and know how much time I will have to spend in the Niagara/Chicago), and yes I will be driving (I'll be driving from NYC to Chicago with about 7 days available incl. time in Chicago the last week of September) - I want to swing by Gettysburg & Antietam, etc, so probably NYC to those Battlefields, then up to Buffalo/Niagara, then onto Chicago). :)

Appreciate the comments... :)

P.S. Sorry - don't mean to hi-jack the thread! :eek:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
As a native Chicagoan (home to the world's first skyscraper BTW), the first question to ask is WHICH tour are you taking? There are double decker, boat and walking ones that I am aware of in the city. And don't forget the observation decks at the Hancock Building and (Sears) Willis Tower too. One thing to remember on any tour, is that you will be at the mercy of the tour guide's schedule and mode of transportation. You may not have much of an opportunity to change lenses or compose shots. When I find myself in that situation, I usually try to limit myself to my Sigma 10-20 and Nikkor 18-200. If I don't have the 18-200 with me, the 17-55 will be my primary lens. My guess is that your 18-55 will be yours.

Sandpatch

Shot this of the Sears (er Willis) Tower a few weeks ago using my wife's Nikon Coolpix P100 on an overcast day. It was the first time that I'd been home to Chicago in over 30 years and I was a bit bewildered at all of the changes. Thankfully they haven't changed the street names, so I was able to play tour guide for my family fairly well.

2013-07-02 Sears Tower Chicago - for upload.jpg