Dog action

wud

Would love critique on this, as I myself like it but are maybe missing something, which could make a simulare picture even better next time.

faelled_web_743148.jpg

Exif:

Model: NIKON D3
Flash: No

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/2500
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 12 mm

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is excellent! I would not change a thing . . . everything works together to bring the focus on the dogs and even the sky gives the viewer the feeling of action. High impact score because you tied it all together, if you know what I mean. Even the tilted horizon adds to the photo.

Well done! Really, one of the best I've seen. Keep up the fabulous work!

wud

This is excellent! I would not change a thing . . . everything works together to bring the focus on the dogs and even the sky gives the viewer the feeling of action. High impact score because you tied it all together, if you know what I mean. Even the tilted horizon adds to the photo.

Well done! Really, one of the best I've seen. Keep up the fabulous work!

Thank you! But - nerdy me, lower points on composition and color balance, what could have been better? If you would be so kind :) :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Thank you! But - nerdy me, lower points on composition and color balance, what could have been better? If you would be so kind :) :)

I gave you a 4 out of 5 in composition because that building on the right is a slight distraction . . . a minor one for me, but still a distraction and could have been cloned out.

I gave you a 4 out of 5 in color balance because I think the colors need a little more "punch" . . . also, not a major problem since the rest of the elements carry the photo.

Photography is very subjective . . . this is just how I see it . . . Please tell me you weren't one of those students who haggled and quibbled because you got an A and not an A+ :cool:

RockyNH_RIP

Hello Mai,

This is excellent... your style etc always impresses me.. Impact creativity, all great.

I marked down a point on color balance only because to me, the colors are a bit drab.. the green is not really bright green in the bright sun. Dogs color is fine to me as they are in a shadow...

I would have liked better light on the dogs but no deductions, just an opinion and I know that you cannot get to always pose how and where you want on cue like a human (well some humans)

11 out of 12 and Great Job...

Pat in NH

wud

I gave you a 4 out of 5 in composition because that building on the right is a slight distraction . . . a minor one for me, but still a distraction and could have been cloned out.

I gave you a 4 out of 5 in color balance because I think the colors need a little more "punch" . . . also, not a major problem since the rest of the elements carry the photo.

Photography is very subjective . . . this is just how I see it . . . Please tell me you weren't one of those students who haggled and quibbled because you got an A and not an A+ :cool:

Lol, no, I didnt do that in school. But thanks for nitpicking for me! I think you are right about the building.

Hello Mai,

This is excellent... your style etc always impresses me.. Impact creativity, all great.

I marked down a point on color balance only because to me, the colors are a bit drab.. the green is not really bright green in the bright sun. Dogs color is fine to me as they are in a shadow...

I would have liked better light on the dogs but no deductions, just an opinion and I know that you cannot get to always pose how and where you want on cue like a human (well some humans)

11 out of 12 and Great Job...

Pat in NH

And thanks to you too - I see what you both mean with colors, I did saturate on purpose, but maybe I'll consider it next time :)

The only possible thing I could count off for is the building and the lighting. Those I could ONLY give you a 4. the rest get fives.

I can always count on enjoying your photos.

Last edited:

wud

Thank you Don! It seems like you all agree.

About me asking about the rating, it wasnt meant as I was going for only 5's, but I asked in a thread about this forum and were told, in here you post your best pictures for critique, and I posted this, to know what to work on. I would have asked the same question if it was 2 and 3 stars.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Lol, no, I didnt do that in school. But thanks for nitpicking for me! I think you are right about the building.

You're very welcome. I appreciate your good sense of humor. I should have added the other comment in the original critique but I had to tend to something pretty quickly . . . like my kitchen on fire.

wud

You're very welcome. I appreciate your good sense of humor. I should have added the other comment in the original critique but I had to tend to something pretty quickly . . . like my kitchen on fire.

Hope you got a picture ;) Maybe HDR actually.

Rick M

Excellent shot wud! Definitely high impact and very creative! Lighting was the only drawback of a few points under lighting and technical excellence. Some fill lighting/flash would have reduced the shadows and brightened the fur a bit. Keep up the great work!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hope you got a picture ;) Maybe HDR actually.

Ha-ha! I can laugh now. It wasn't so funny this morning. The whole house filled smoke because I turned the wrong burner on and it was burning the aluminum cover and the pot holder. When I made sure there were no flames, I rushed to get the dogs out of the house. That was the funny part . . . and the cats thought it was the end of the world. . . they may never be back to normal. The dogs were trying to get back in the house . . . I guess to save me LOL I've always appreciated and admired firefighters, but, man, this episode of gasping through the smoke has taken my respect for them to a new level.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread . . . just thought I'd explain why I don't have photo LOL

Tami Jo

Mai this is an excellent image. I wouldn't change much here I just would try and punch the lighting up a notch or two. And perhaps a slight color boost. But as is still a killer shot.

wud

Excellent shot wud! Definitely high impact and very creative! Lighting was the only drawback of a few points under lighting and technical excellence. Some fill lighting/flash would have reduced the shadows and brightened the fur a bit. Keep up the great work!

Mai this is an excellent image. I wouldn't change much here I just would try and punch the lighting up a notch or two. And perhaps a slight color boost. But as is still a killer shot.

Noted :encouragement: I've been told before, that some of my pictures seem a litte to dark. Maybe I am having my screen to bright (or maybe its my night blindness lol).

wud

Ha-ha! I can laugh now. It wasn't so funny this morning. The whole house filled smoke because I turned the wrong burner on and it was burning the aluminum cover and the pot holder. When I made sure there were no flames, I rushed to get the dogs out of the house. That was the funny part . . . and the cats thought it was the end of the world. . . they may never be back to normal. The dogs were trying to get back in the house . . . I guess to save me LOL I've always appreciated and admired firefighters, but, man, this episode of gasping through the smoke has taken my respect for them to a new level.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread . . . just thought I'd explain why I don't have photo LOL

Okay, I thought you were just burning your food! Sounds like a pretty bad smell.....

About your animals, made me think of this cartoon, if you havent seen it, it is SO funny: Hyperbole and a Half

Glad your okay and that your house is still standing!

Kodiak

How to make this shot better?

Bull sh…t!

This photograph deserves in many aspect of photography a very high digit note!

It is dynamic, vivid in textures and in action, it tells a story (a good one in a beautiful way),
the only thing that would make me happier about this take is that the dogs would be mine!
Even the clouds were working with you, taking the viewer's eyes back to the dogs. Awesome!

And never expect me to say: "I am jalous!" Not in public!

Congratulations,

Last edited: