Vivitar 120-600 mm F5.6 compatible with which DSLR?

NikonChuck

Hi, I currently have an opportunity for an old vivitar 600mm F5.6 lens. It has the type mount formerly found on old Nikon SLRs (small rod into prong). How can I use this lens with a DSLR for long range action shots? Is there a way to mount this lens to any other DSLR besides a Nikon?

I realize that the autofocus will not be available. Also, there may be no way to use it with a DSLR. However, the price is right, and the newer Dig lenses are just too pricey. I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive body and just using this combination for airshows.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

EdgyPhoto

I picked up an older Cosina 100-500 manual focus monster and love it for the miscellaneous tinkering. It's an old school tank. Got it for just under $100 with shipping so if it's anything in that range, I'd say definitely go for it. Many older lenses (cept maybe the really older AIS and the like) will still mount on today's Nikon bodies, you just have to manually focus obviously and also manually meter.

For air shows, though, I really think a 120-600 is too much lens. I've shot several air shows using either my 70-200 or 70-300 (on a DX format D200 mind you) and the 70-300 has plenty of reach and sometimes actually not enough width for some aerial shots. Partly depends on where you locate yourself, and whether you're shooting DX or FX format.

EricB

Joseph Bautsch

NikonChuck - These long range, 120-600mm, lenses are great for nature shots or relatively slow moving subjects where you can set the lens on a tripod and track the movement. I don't think they are very practical for fast, over head, moving jets. As EdgyPhoto suggests, you would probably get better results with a 70-300mm Nikkor VRII lens. Also the D80 does not perform that well at high ISO, above 400. You will need a higher ISO to get the higher shutter speeds to track high speed jets. A D300s or other higher end body will perform much better at the high ISO. Hope this helps.

jola68

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here on nikonites, I also have a Vivitar 120-600mm handed down from my father and I do not own a DSLR yet. I was searching on google to see if these are compatible with any newer DSLRs?

any suggestions, I'd like to buy a kit like a Nikon 3100 with 18-55 and 55-200, thought this would be a good fit for tree stand hunting or colorado elk hunting, I know this thing is heavy and I'll need a tripod and good manual focus capabilities.

thanks all!