Mingus Milll

Joseph Bautsch

Mingus Mill in the fall, Smokey Mountains. EXIF Data: D90, 18-105mm VR Nikkor, Focal Length 32mm, F/22, ISO 640, Shutter Speed .4 sec., Auto WB, Adobe RGB, CPL Filter, PP in Aperture 3 with Photomatix HDR.

_DSC5787.jpg

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

Thanks Yibel. I use a CPL filter more often than not on these types of shots. The CPL intensifies the color in each of the three bracketed shots so that when they are merged the result is a cartoon look. I almost always have to desaturate the color to bring it down to reality.

Browncoat

From what you've described, there was a lot that went into this image. For me at least, it doesn't translate into a very good photograph. This isn't the high quality that I'm used to seeing from you, Mr. Bautsch.

This scene appears to be out of focus. It might be due to camera shake in combination w/ HDR, but I'm seeing a shift. Also, the use of a CPL filter would lead me to believe that this photo should have some bright, vibrant colors...but I think it lacks saturation and tonal depth. Some of us do go over the top with HDR, but perhaps you didn't go far enough here.

There are some interesting things going on in this photo. The old texture of the mill should be nearly three-dimensional with all the PP work you described. The leaves should be bright and vibrant, almost stark in comparison to the drab old mill. I like what you have here, but my opinion is that a second look is needed.

Keep up the good work!

ohkphoto

Snow White
I really like the composition, Joseph, and the texture of the mill. To me it looks a little dark (hopefully not my monitor). Maybe if you up the exposure a tad and the vibrance (in lightroom), you can put a little "punch" into the picture. To me, the yellow in the leaves should be brighter. Nice job on the hdr . . . I also like the more 'realistic' look in this case.

Best Regards

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Helene - I did some revising on the shot. I removed the people from the shot. Because of the merger of three shots and their moving around they come out in the final HDR as blurry. Tourists are just not that cooperative. I also re-cropped to make the subject a little more prominent. I also brightened it up some. The problem I had was the entire scene was in the shade so getting the colors to pop is problematic. I also discovered I had not done any sharpening and that has now been done.

_DSC5787 (1).jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Joseph! Nice job pp this. . . now it pops and I agree with Bill, much better without the people. I get a nice "crispy, autumn day" feeling with this. Good job!

Best Regards

Joseph Bautsch

Thanks for the comments, Bill and Helene. The people in the shot bothered because they were blurry and gave the impression that the shot was out of focus.