Shooting Lightning....

STM

Here is a trick I have used for decades to shoot long exposures at night. I place a black (matte, not shiny) card in front of the lens. I then open the shutter on B and lock it open. I remove the card and expose the film/sensor. You can do multiple stuff (multiple lightning strikes) by just placing the card back over the lens and removing it again. Be careful not to hit the lens with the card when you remove it, to prevent any unsharpness due vibration. A sturdy tripod is a must for any kind of work like this.

snaphappy

I just finally was able to capture lightning this weekend. Not sure if my way was a good way but it worked for me this time. I Focused to infinity (focus on something very far away I had the moon) then set lens and camera to manual focus, turned off VR and placed on sturdy tripod. I played with my aperture but found my best at f14 and my iso was 320 (200 was too dark so upped it). I set shutter to 30sec exposure, pointed lens to where I hoped lightning would flash next and waited. Sometimes I got a flash sometimes I got 2 and sometimes I got none in my 30secs but I had fun and got a few shots

STM

I only wish I had taken this photo. This is the most amazing lightning (or weather for that matter) image I have ever seen.
lightning.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I only wish I had taken this photo. This is the most amazing lightning (or weather for that matter) image I have ever seen.
lightning.jpg

That's a hell of a way to light your tornado! He must have used the new God trigger for his Nikon.

sent from my phone

STM

That's a hell of a way to light your tornado! He must have used the new God trigger for his Nikon.

sent from my phone

I wonder if he even knew the twister was there until the lightning highlighted it. I'll bet he had to change his drawers after that one! :nightmare: