D5200 general focusing and low light focusing issues?

Alfacam

Hi all,

I have just joined this site to ask for some advice.

I have owned a few Nikons over the past few years and recently bought the D5200. It is by far the best camera I have ever used in terms of ergonomics, features and usability.

However, I have been quite disappointed and confused with the inconsistent results I've had from it. I haven't got any example pics I can post at the moment but I can try and explain.

I have taken pics outdoors with good amounts of light using single point focus, the available light has allowed for a fast shutter speed. I have pointed the focus point directly in the middle of the subject yet the picture comes out soft and when zoomed in doesn't look too much in focus. One picture in particular was of my wife stood by the sea. The focus point was definitely bang in the middle of her head, yet her face was slightly out of focus but the sea just behind her was sharp as anything.

Even when I am 8 ft away taking a portrait pic, even using f5.6 the detail is not as sharp as I would have thought it should be.

I wouldn't say that this is the case for every shot but a good percent of them.

The other issue I have is in low light. When shooting in AF-S single point using the 9 AF areas. If I shoot with the focus point in the middle, it will fire off the AF assist lamp and focus quickly. If I move the AF area to one of the other 8 points it doesn't fire the AF lamp and just hunts back and forth and won't focus.

Does it sound like I have an issue with the camera or is there something that I have overlooked and I'm doing something wrong?

RockyNH_RIP

I do not have a 5200, do have a 5100... If I remember correctly, if the center point is NOT selected, the Assist will not turn on... (focus point is away from beam of assist). This should be in your manual.. Hunting is because of low light/low contrast.. You can lock focus on another point or revert to manual..

The Rest, well we really will need more info...
What Lens? (5.6 is NOT a wide dof on an 18-55 prime)
What Shooting mode are you in? Scenes? Auto? Manual?
Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

Best answers would really come from posting a couple of the suspect pictures so the experts can see the issue..

If some pics are good and others not, that usually indicated "op error" or lack of understanding with what the camera is doing at that point.

Good luck, pics will help and Welcome to Nikonites!

Pat in NH

Alfacam

Thanks for your reply Pat. I will try and take a better look at the suspect pics over the weekend along with their shooting metadata.

mauckcg

Thanks for your reply Pat. I will try and take a better look at the suspect pics over the weekend along with their shooting metadata.

I figured out pretty quickly that the 18-55 that came with my D5200 is ok from f8-11 and thats about it. Outside of that range it goes from slightly soft to WTF was I trying to focus on. I picked up a 35mm f1.8 Prime and had much better results.

RockyNH_RIP

Again, without seeing pics it is hard to say, but that sounds like the lens... if it is just that range an only on that lens. I had the same lens and never had any issues like that with it.

Pat in NH