Lens Advice

Nathan Lanni

I need your advice on getting a FX style lens(es).

I've been looking at getting a lens somewhere between 28⁰ and 55⁰ for general photos, plus a better aperture range than my 18-200mm.

The other thing is my 24 year old son (currently a graduate student) and I have been doing stop motion animation. This work ranges from a few inches to a few feet away from the 6" subjects.

Here's the range of primes I've been looking at, but I haven't ruled out a shorter zoom. Other brand suggestions are welcome. From my research I understand using a FX lens on a DX body changes the angle of view by x1.5, so I'm open for info you might have on it.

AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G

AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G

AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/2G

AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Rick M

There's a wide range in the lenses you've mentioned, do you want a wide perspective or normal? Also keep in mind it is the camera body's sensor size that creates the 1.5 crop factor, not the lenses. You can get a Dx lens and you will have the same crop factor.

§am

The prices you're looking at for those f/1.4 lenses, I would say you're better off with the f/1.8 instead.
From the reviews I've read the 50mm f/1.8 is overall a much better investment then its f/1.4 brother.

Not sure about the 35mm primes you have mentioned, but certainly the 28mm f/1.8 would be worth a good consideration too

Nathan Lanni

There's a wide range in the lenses you've mentioned, do you want a wide perspective or normal? Also keep in mind it is the camera body's sensor size that creates the 1.5 crop factor, not the lenses. You can get a Dx lens and you will have the same crop factor.

Yes, I agree.

I listed a number of lenses to indicate the direction I was thinking about but I'm completely open.

A wide perspective is good, but we need to avoid fishbowl effect.

I should have mentioned it but my goal is to move to a FX sensor camera in few years.

Last edited:

Nathan Lanni

The prices you're looking at for those f/1.4 lenses, I would say you're better off with the f/1.8 instead.
From the reviews I've read the 50mm f/1.8 is overall a much better investment then its f/1.4 brother.

Not sure about the 35mm primes you have mentioned, but certainly the 28mm f/1.8 would be worth a good consideration too
Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

Last edited: