use a flash and preferably off camera flash, using one flash. I have everything
covered except the technical part since I'm not familiar at all with current
flashes.

I'm looking for an affordable flash that I can use TTL off
camera for a Nikon D600 and without another flash or the pop-up flash. I
understand it is possible to control a flash (depending on which one) with the
pop-up flash?

My options are all the flashes from Yongnuo and a few from
Metz, anything up to the price of the Mecablitz 50 AF-1.

Even more important, I need to decide on a relatively reliable but not too expensive option for conneting/operating the flash off camera. It can be wireless or using a cable (as long as it's long enough and it doesn't have to be especially long).

Thank you!

JohnB

The D600 has Commander Mode; so you don't need a trigger to control the flash. A YN468 II is TTL, it will do what you need for about $80.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Your camera needs to have "commander mode" . . . you find that under the "flash menu" on your camera. That will allow you to control your off-camera flash with the camera's pop-up flash. There are lots of options for flashes . . . I stick with Nikon because I like the CLS that is supported with the SB-800 and 900 series (I think the 700 also, not sure about the 600)

LouCioccio

http://nikonites.com/flashes/11674-...eless-commander-slave-mode.html#axzz2X9JrfI00

I did a test compared to my Olympus FL50R and its equal. I have used it at a recent event shoot (D7K and Olympus E30) and performed very well. I think B&H Photo has a similar model under the Bolt moniker. Okay down side as you read down it has no optical slave as the SB910 but will work as commander on camera or will work and be controlled from your camera in CLS mode.
It DOES NOT have High Speed Sync but does sync at 1/320 so that may not be a problem. So if budget constraints you could buy one and then save for a refurbished 910 later then you will have two flashes and be able to configure them.

YMMV,

​Lou Cioccio

fotojack

Your camera needs to have "commander mode" . . . you find that under the "flash menu" on your camera. That will allow you to control your off-camera flash with the camera's pop-up flash. There are lots of options for flashes . . . I stick with Nikon because I like the CLS that is supported with the SB-800 and 900 series (I think the 700 also, not sure about the 600)

Yup, both the 600 & 700 are supported, Helene.