Desert Odyssey #1: Salvation Mountain

Horoscope Fish

Just outside of the tiny community of Niland, CA lies a testament to one man's faith: Leonard Knight's one-man creation, Salvation Mountain.

While "mountain" might be a slight exaggeration the official measurements of 50 feet high and 150 in length do not adequately convey the scope of Salvation Mountain due to in part to its labyrinth interior. The sheer scope I can hope to convey here, but what you do not see are the tiny shrines and memorials to loved ones who have transitioned that pocket the entire mountain. The totality of Salvation Mountain boggles the mind when you consider this was the work of one man over a span of decades. Leonard is too old these days to maintain Salvation Mountain, today that's done by a group of volunteers and donations are gratefully accepted.

I'm not a religious man, personally, but if you ever find yourself in the vicinity you owe to yourself to stock up on some extra water and stop by. If you're lucky, and Leonard is feeling particularly spry, you might get to meet the artist himself. He's a little deaf in the right ear, so speak up. I recently returned to the Mountain with friends in tow and wanted to share some shots. Comments and critique are always welcome but I don't mean this to be a critique thread, specifically.

So anyway, here's hoping you enjoy a sampling of my Desert Odyssey #1: Salvation Mountain

9116146976_5e5eda7666_b.jpg

Not much out here besides... Approaching Salvation Mountain.

9113914249_99d735ea0a_b.jpg

9116140676_31b5507257_b.jpg

Ladies take note: This is how you dress for the desert...

9113907537_183dd02172_b.jpg

Decrepit vehicles, likewise bearing Leonard's touch, decorate the area.

9116134156_bb86d7ba6c_b.jpg

9113901231_1499105bd6_b.jpg

DRT (Desert Rat in Training) Jesi get's her shot.

ohkphoto

Snow White
What an interesting story and photos! What is the inside like? Is this some kind of natural outcropping with caves inside or did this man carve out the interior?

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice photos. I've been there a couple of times and have to say that old guy has (had) waaaayyyy too much time on his hands. I would consider removing the spectators unless you feel it adds to the composition.

Horoscope Fish

Nice photos. I've been there a couple of times and have to say that old guy has (had) waaaayyyy too much time on his hands. I would consider removing the spectators unless you feel it adds to the composition.
You're right. My fellow Rat's make it look too travelogue-esque...

What an interesting story and photos! What is the inside like? Is this some kind of natural outcropping with caves inside or did this man carve out the interior?
The interior is a bit of a mish mash... Parts are open to the sky, other parts are more like alcoves. Many have left signs of their visit (business cards, post cards, little trinkets or "McToys" (as I call them)) and requests for prayers. Not having a real pro with me made photographing the interior more difficult so next time I'll drag Dave along with me!

You could use a protégé, right Dave??! RIIIGHT?? You and that tasty D800 of yours...

9115164261_fb5ecec057_b.jpg

The "open air" entrance; the yellow line at the bottom is your path.

9117392668_4dd23002c9_b.jpg

Going inside means navigating narrow passages like this. Not a centimeter goes unpainted.

9117382106_7f9617a583_b.jpg

One of several alcoves with flotsam and jetsam of previous visitors; business cards, personal notes, etc.

Last edited: