Have a Tokina 12-24 on its way!

RockyNH_RIP

After seeing Ted's reports and seeing some of his photos, I decided to go ahead and try the Tokina 12-24. I have been looking for an ultra-wide for my DX. The reviews looked good (yes, the 11-16 had some better slightly) and for the price, I think it is going to be a fine lens for my purposes... It will AF on my 7100 and MF on my 5100 but I am not concerned about that. Most of the use will be 7100 and when I do use it on the 5100 (motorcycle travels, extended walks etc) I should be fine with the manual. I typically will doing landscape on travels and see no issues.

I ordered it on the 20th (thursday) and to my surprise it is in Nashua already. I am expecting now that I will get delivery tomorrow or Tuesday.. (Yes, Ted called that too but I thought it would be longer from California!)

Anyway, I am excited... I will let everyone know what I think after I try it out.

Again, I have to say Thanks Ted!

Pat in NH

evan447

as good as they are the tokina ultrawides still have their drawbacks (nearly all ultrawide dx lens have them).
CA, distortion and white fringe on straight edges are the first thing i noticed on both the 11-16 and 12-24 models. they also suffer from lens flare too.
imo the nikon 16-85 would be a better albeit narrower choice.
if you really need ultrawide FX is the way to go.

RockyNH_RIP

as good as they are the tokina ultrawides still have their drawbacks (nearly all ultrawide dx lens have them).
CA, distortion and white fringe on straight edges are the first thing i noticed on both the 11-16 and 12-24 models. they also suffer from lens flare too.
imo the nikon 16-85 would be a better albeit narrower choice.
if you really need ultrawide FX is the way to go.

Evan, thanks for your thoughts... I realize the drawbacks but as a hobbyist (new to that too) I am not prepared to go FX as DX seems to be serving me well. I have looked at a lot of pics online and here with the 12-24 and do believe it will serve my needs. All things are compromise and I will learn to work around the drawbacks...

The 16-85 is not a viable option for Wide as I already have 18-105 (24 to 27 equivalent) The 12 will give me an effective 18... 16-85 on an fx would be wide enough! :)

Pat in NH

JohnB

congrats on your choice. Enjoy! Ultra wide lenses are great; it expands the type of shots you can take, especially for landscape and travel purposes, and especially in your part of the world, I remember a trip to the White Mountains around Franconia a few years ago before I bought my D60, would love to go back again with my current equipment and take some pictures.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

RockyNH_RIP

congrats on your choice. Enjoy! Ultra wide lenses are great; it expands the type of shots you can take, especially for landscape and travel purposes, and especially in your part of the world, I remember a trip to the White Mountains around Franconia a few years ago before I bought my D60, would love to go back again with my current equipment and take some pictures.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Thanks!! If you ever make it back to the White Mountains get a hold of me.. we can maybe meet for lunch! :)

Pat in NH

crycocyon

Congratulations, Pat. I'm also on the market for something wide (when I can afford it), but can't decide between a wide zoom and a wide prime lens. Looking forward to seeing how this lens performs with your two Nikons.

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, it arrived today~!!!! As my wife is out of town no one was home and they wanted a signature... They left a note (would not have helped) and I was also getting email updates. It showed "out for delivery" this morning and then about 1:30 I got an email saying "Note Left". I called and they said I could pick up the PO until 4:30. I went after work and my driver had already been in so the package was there!!

Got it home and opened it up... first impression, weighty, feels well made, I sense it has a decent build quality. Tried the manual focus and focal length ring.. both seemed very smooth. I put the lens on the 7100 and for giggles tried it in manual focus mode. Not too bad, though the 7100 has a very large and bright viewfinder.. I then took a couple pictures at 12, 24 and at 50 with my 18-105... here they are: (no crops on any)

50 mm

DSC_0802.jpg

24mm & 12 mm

DSC_0803.jpg DSC_0804.jpg

2nd set.... 50mm

DSC_0807.jpg

here is the Tokina at 24 and then 12mm

DSC_0806.jpg DSC_0805.jpg

The 7100 is going to wear the Tokina tomorrow when I go to work. I will try a few indoor shots in the plant.
After work, I will take a couple at the airport when I pick my wife up.

I am liking it so far... think I will have some fun with this..
Thanks again to Ted for sharing the info (he bought it first) and giving me the source for getting it brand new for $300.

Pat in NH

Lscha

You will love that lens, Pat. Some distortion can be fixed in editing but your sweet spot will likely be the 16 or 17. Very versatile lens and fun too.

RockyNH_RIP

Congrats,Pat Nice shots.I like the 12mm best.

Thanks Joe... It is close to your 11-16 :) Hey, it makes my deck look Huge!! I snapped a few quick shots at work in the plant.. just to see the effect.. I will d/l and post when I get home.. I do have some learning to day but that is the fun part...

Ironic, I have been watching craigslist for a while and the day it arrives, 2 others pop on CL. one like yours and a Tamron.. No remorse though, mine was cheaper and new!! :)

Pat in NH