Please tell me this is true

I am not so sure that I would want to hack my camera firmware. You risk overheating the sensor which was the original reason the time limit was put there. Also you will void your warranty.

WhiteLight

How could a firmware hack allow you to record more?
The memory card is usually FAT format... and FAT supports a max file size of 4gb which is 20 mins of video...
Other format memory cards would not be read by the camera...

doesn't make any sense to me

STM

Still, for some it's definitely tempting.

Why don't they just get a video camera instead? One of the things I like most about the D700 is that it does NOT have video. For me at least, your mileage may vary, video is an unwanted and added cost feature I would never use.

Why don't they just get a video camera instead? One of the things I like most about the D700 is that it does NOT have video. For me at least, your mileage may vary, video is an unwanted and added cost feature I would never use.

I don't do much video at all with my D5100 BUT I do like it there for that rare occasion where I see something that deserves video. Like the day I was at a river walk park near here and there was a guy launching a Drag boat to test it. flipped it on video and got some great shots. Still photos would not have done the boat justice.

My last job was as a on air engineer at a TV station so Video for me was not that much fun.

Bill4282

Not sure which came first, but I think video was added to DSLRs because users wanted the same functionality as point and shoots. I too never shoot video and don't even think about it being available when shooting.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I added the links to the modified firmware in the respective forums. The d5100 one has a couple other modifications. The person that made it bricked their camera trying new things!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
How could a firmware hack allow you to record more?
The memory card is usually FAT format... and FAT supports a max file size of 4gb which is 20 mins of video...
Other format memory cards would not be read by the camera...

doesn't make any sense to me

If you're not recording at full resolution then you can get a video file under 4gb that is greater than 20 min. I would imagine if you hit the 4gb mark it'll just stop recording since there is nothing built in to span across multiple files like with some video cameras.

Edit: Simeon explains in this post:
The firmware actually check for free space, then limits the space to ~3.5GB, it then does a division based on average compression rate of the mode you are shooting in, and comes up with a time value (that used to then get limited) it then records for this amount of time.