Lens advice please - best use of my money.

Watoh

Ok I'm pretty new to DSLR photography and still have a lot to learn about hardware.

In April i purchased my D600 with 3 lenses.
  • AF NIKKOR 28mm f/2.8D
  • AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D
  • Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD

Now not being that experience I want some advice, what lens would compliment this collection. I shoot everything and enjoy all types of photography.

Should i consider another lens? What could i buy that would allow me to get better results? Or should i save my money?

Thanks for any advice.

What can you not shoot with the lenses you have now. Once you can answer that question you will know what kind of lens you want. Asking the question you asked everyone is going to tell you what they want or recommend what they have.

Just-Clayton

What I see is you have your landscape lens 28m your macro lens 60mm and a zoom from 70-300. I would get an 18-55 zoom or faster 17-55 is expensive and 18-55 is a lot cheaper but works great.

Phillydog1958

What can you not shoot with the lenses you have now. Once you can answer that question you will know what kind of lens you want. Asking the question you asked everyone is going to tell you what they want or recommend what they have.

I agree. You have a nice collection of lenses. I'd wait awhile and allow a need to establish, then react.

Mike150

I would consider looking in a different direction.
Tripod or Speedlight come to mind...
Now if you already have those... Nevermind...

Watoh

Thanks folks, I'm pleased with the advice. I thought i had it covered, but wanted to ask to be sure. As i said I'm new to DSLR so I wanted to check.

I am defiantly gonna get a speed light, most likely a SB-700. Tripod i have covered, at least for my present needs.

​Thanks again.

Thanks folks, I'm pleased with the advice. I thought i had it covered, but wanted to ask to be sure. As i said I'm new to DSLR so I wanted to check.

I am defiantly gonna get a speed light, most likely a SB-700. Tripod i have covered, at least for my present needs.

​Thanks again.

you can't go wrong with the SB-700. Good flash

jwstl

What I see is you have your landscape lens 28m your macro lens 60mm and a zoom from 70-300. I would get an 18-55 zoom or faster 17-55 is expensive and 18-55 is a lot cheaper but works great.
Those are DX lenses and this is for the D600, an FX camera.

I think you have 2 holes: the range between the 28 and 60 which I find I use a lot and something wider than 28 which I also use a lot.

When I had this decision to make I went with the 24-120 f/4 as my "standard" lens and the 16-35 f/4 for the wide angle. I also have the 28 and the 70-300 so there's a bit of overlap but I don't mind that at all. I also understand the new 18-35 is excellent optically.

Watoh

I think you have 2 holes: the range between the 28 and 60 which I find I use a lot and something wider than 28 which I also use a lot.

When I had this decision to make I went with the 24-120 f/4 as my "standard" lens and the 16-35 f/4 for the wide angle. I also have the 28 and the 70-300 so there's a bit of overlap but I don't mind that at all. I also understand the new 18-35 is excellent optically.

Thanks I somewhat agree.. i have been toing and throwing between getting a 35mm or 50mm. But the i discounted the 50mm as i love the 60mm i have, which works well for a portrait lens, and i was not sure what advantage i'd get from a 35mm. Many swear by their 35mm, but having never used one i have no point of reference.

I kind of like the idea of mainly using prime lenses.

vindex1963

I have both the Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR and the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC. The Nikon is "the" walk around lens in my opinion and the Tamron has amazing image quality and low light performance making it "the" event lens as the 24-70 has been for years. Both excellent in their respective purposes. I think the Tamron has the edge for image quality and the Nikon for long end reach so it's what you're planning to do with the lens.

jwstl

Thanks I somewhat agree.. i have been toing and throwing between getting a 35mm or 50mm. But the i discounted the 50mm as i love the 60mm i have, which works well for a portrait lens, and i was not sure what advantage i'd get from a 35mm. Many swear by their 35mm, but having never used one i have no point of reference.

I kind of like the idea of mainly using prime lenses.

I like primes too and I have a number of them:

Rokinon 14mm 2.8
Nikon 20 2.8
Nikon 24 2.8
Nikon 28 1.7
Sigma 35 1.4
Nikon 50 1.8
Nikon 85 1.8
Nikon 105 Micro D Version
Sigma 150 Macro
Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S

And I use them when I can but for travel and convenience I take the 16-35, the 24-120, and the 70-200 f/4 and one prime for low light and I'm set.

RON_RIP

Stand pat. I use to flit from lens to lens, always looking for the perfect mix. I regret that now. Learn to use what you have. after some experience the missing lenses will become self-evident and then you can switch with confidence, if you need to switch at all.

Mestre

​From the set you have, and only if you like landscape or architecture photography, I'd go for a 16-35 VR. The 28mm and the 60mm (I never had this lenses but I tried it several times ) is great to both portrait and flower macro.

Watoh

I appreciate the advice by all. I think i have the lenses & camera for all my present needs, yeah i could get some lenses to compliment what i have but I think working with what i have would be best.

Lighting will be where my money goes.

Thanks again.