Wedding band Photography , * Need opinion *

Hussy Ameer

Hi, here is few pictures taken with Nikon d3100 + Tamron 90 MM Macro Lens , Please tell me this pictures are fine or i should again take them with more detail ? are they look professional ? will buyers attracted with this picture ? * need your professional Opinion *
Below is some pictures attached!!

301 a.jpg

301 b.jpg

302 d.jpg

Attachments

• 321 a.jpg
    321 a.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 303a.jpg
    303a.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 303b.jpg
    303b.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 304a.jpg
    304a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 304c.jpg
    304c.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 155
  • 305a.jpg
    305a.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 305d.jpg
    305d.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 306a.jpg
    306a.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 306d.jpg
    306d.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 307a.jpg
    307a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 308a.jpg
    308a.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 171
  • 309a.jpg
    309a.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 309b.jpg
    309b.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 310a.jpg
    310a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 167
  • 311a.jpg
    311a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 311b.jpg
    311b.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 312a.jpg
    312a.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:

Michael J.

If those pics appear on a catalog I wouldn't buy them. Not because the rings are not beautiful but as I can see that you running a jewellery shop the pics are snapshots and not a presentation of your great garments.

Somersetscott

The rings look good - i'm not sure, something is amiss..

I think it is the background colour being inconsistant.

There also seems to be some kind of black square in the reflection of the shiney rings? - could try to change position so no reflections are present.

Could try different lighting too - perhaps more 'daylight' style than artificial.

Also (I don't know what your reasons are for these pics) - I'd be tempted to find someone with nice hands - and see if they would model for you :) just an idea..

But hey! I certainly am no expert and never shot items like this.

I hope you manage to get what you are trying to achieve and have fun doing it! :)

Rick M

In my opinion the backgrounds should be pure white. I would try to keep a consistent depth of field on each shot, with the front half 100% in focus.

In other words, I think the edges of the rings as they curve towards the back should still be sharp and only the back side out of focus.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

It looks to me like you're shooting under florescent lights which is probably what is causing the green tint to your photo's. You either need to adjust the white balance in camera, fix it in post using Photoshop or change your lighting.

You need to be using a deeper depth of field as well since several of those shots do not have good focus.

Not sure what's causing the black rectangles to appear in the reflections of your subjects, but you need to figure it out and remove it. It's a huge distraction.

Hussy Ameer

I just take with this background becase i can see white background is too much hard for me , how are they looking ? good or not good , will its attracts the customers ? ( if still bad so tell please give me any professional photographer who can take a pictures for me , will pay him ) ? DSC_4243.JPG Three pictures are more than enough to get your point across. Any more than that and I would suspect that you are just trying to advertise through this web site.

Attachments

• DSC_4296.jpg
    DSC_4296.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_4562.jpg
    DSC_4562.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:

riverside

Definitely white balance and reflection issues in the first set. In the second set the background rocks are far too distracting/concealing from the product itself.

Do you have a dedicated area where you control image lighting with a tent or soft boxes? Without such a setup (very inexpensive) you're going to incur far too much post processing time to achieve any satisfactory degree of production for product photography.

Hussy Ameer

Definitely white balance and reflection issues in the first set. In the second set the background rocks are far too distracting/concealing from the product itself.

Do you have a dedicated area where you control image lighting with a tent or soft boxes? Without such a setup (very inexpensive) you're going to incur far too much post processing time to achieve any satisfactory degree of production for product photography.

No i dnt have any special Lights or something , but just have one Box ( the white background box ) that is very low light inside , should i buy a high light Lights ? ( 300w) or more ?
and i dnt have the tent , Should i buy that ?

By the way what you suggest the Rocks pics are good for customers or white background ?

Hussy Ameer

No i dnt have any special Lights or something , but just have one Box ( the white background box ) that is very low light inside , should i buy a high light Lights ? ( 300w) or more ?

By the way what you suggest the Rocks pics are good for customers or white background ?

sorry i just focus now , tell me what is the best background i should choose ? that will express my item and ( easy to get pics ) ?

riverside

I do small product photography and personally dislike the inconvenience of a light tent but others swear by them. I use three soft boxes, non-reflective with diffusers, one on each side canted towards the product and a third on a boom canted to light the background. Product is on a cloth or paper background (color can vary dependent on subject) hung from a background stand draped over a table. Lots of clamps. Lights are 300w 5600° F for each box.

In my opinion the rocks distract from the rings.

nickt

I think I would like to see the entire ring in sharp focus. You should be able to do this by backing up several feet and cropping the image to zoom in.

Hussy Ameer

i have two lens , one is Temran micro 90mm and one is 35-55mm Nikon lens ( come with camera ) so which one i use ?

macro lens make picture zoom and show detail But make half ring blur, the 35-5mm take entire sharp focus , so which one i use ?

nickt

i have two lens , one is Temran micro 90mm and one is 35-55mm Nikon lens ( come with camera ) so which one i use ?

macro lens make picture zoom and show detail But make half ring blur, the 35-5mm take entire sharp focus , so which one i use ?

I would experiment, but first try would be the 90 from at least 2 feet away, iso 100, f16 on a tripod. Focus on the top edge. Use 2 second self timer so you don't shake the camera. Experiment with f-stop and more distance to get the depth of field. Picture will be small, not really a macro shot, but hopefully you have enough quality to crop/enlarge. Higher f-stop will give more depth of field, but at some point image will degrade from diffraction. Backing up will increase the depth of field too, but subject gets smaller. So you have to find the best aperture and distance and still get something that looks good after cropping.
Here is a quick shot of my ring with my old 200mm kit lens that I was playing with today. You should be able to do good with the 90. Remember, not a macro shot, back up and crop later. Lighting is very bad, that is my door in the reflection. Background is paper napkin.

D7K_6743.jpg

Hussy Ameer

I would experiment, but first try would be the 90 from at least 2 feet away, iso 100, f16 on a tripod. Focus on the top edge. Use 2 second self timer so you don't shake the camera. Experiment with f-stop and more distance to get the depth of field. Picture will be small, not really a macro shot, but hopefully you have enough quality to crop/enlarge. Higher f-stop will give more depth of field, but at some point image will degrade from diffraction. Backing up will increase the depth of field too, but subject gets smaller. So you have to find the best aperture and distance and still get something that looks good after cropping.
Here is a quick shot of my ring with my old 200mm kit lens that I was playing with today. You should be able to do good with the 90. Remember, not a macro shot, back up and crop later. Lighting is very bad, that is my door in the reflection. Background is paper napkin.

View attachment 41402

I got what do you mean, ok tomorrow in day i will take pictures with this deatil , i hope i will got a perfect shot , thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for helping me :)

nickt

I tried with my Tamron 60mm macro. F16, 1/4 sec, iso 100
I'm attaching the crop screen too so you can see how much is removed. This is not really macro, but as long as your rings look sharp at catalog size, this technique might be good. Contrast, clarity and sharpness turned up a bit in Lightroom. If these were small insects, too much detail might be lost with zooming in so much.

My wife is worrying that I am selling my ring on ebay because I'm taking pictures of it. :rolleyes:

D7K_6755.jpgringcrop.jpg

Hussy Ameer

I tried with my Tamron 60mm macro. F16, 1/4 sec, iso 100
I'm attaching the crop screen too so you can see how much is removed. This is not really macro, but as long as your rings look sharp at catalog size, this technique might be good. Contrast, clarity and sharpness turned up a bit in Lightroom. If these were small insects, too much detail might be lost with zooming in so much.

My wife is worrying that I am selling my ring on ebay because I'm taking pictures of it. :rolleyes:

View attachment 41413View attachment 41414

Now i totally understand all things you told me , tomorrow i will take a picture and will upload here and really i m so happy you are helping me :) Thank you soooooo much
and i just laugh when you said your wife thinks you are going to sell it hahahha :)

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 , is this fine or i should buy lightroom 5 ?

thank you

nickt

Now i totally understand all things you told me , tomorrow i will take a picture and will upload here and really i m so happy you are helping me :) Thank you soooooo much
and i just laugh when you said your wife thinks you are going to sell it hahahha :)

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 , is this fine or i should buy lightroom 5 ?

thank you
Good luck. Use a tripod and be sure not to shake camera, so use the 2 second self timer. You want that image as sharp as possible so you don't want to be touching the shutter button when the picture is taken. Use single point focus on the very top center of the ring. Auto focus single point should work fine, but you could try manual focus if auto is not getting it right. If you try manual focus, live view can be helpful.

PS Elements should do everything you need. Just go to Enhance and play with the lighting and sharpness. I shoot RAW, but if you don't want to learn that now, jpg should be good enough. RAW gives you more data to work with.

riverside

One thing I'd to point out about repetitious small product photography for commercial purposes is the absolute need for consistency. In the commercial world time is money which means lighting, background and camera settings must be tuned to where all one has to do is change products as they're shot with no requirement for post processing. These cameras do what they're told and nothing else.

Hussy Ameer

I tried with my Tamron 60mm macro. F16, 1/4 sec, iso 100 I'm attaching the crop screen too so you can see how much is removed. This is not really macro, but as long as your rings look sharp at catalog size, this technique might be good. Contrast, clarity and sharpness turned up a bit in Lightroom. If these were small insects, too much detail might be lost with zooming in so much. My wife is worrying that I am selling my ring on ebay because I'm taking pictures of it. :rolleyes: View attachment 41413View attachment 41414

Hello,
here is few pictures i take today,

1st this picture is taking in Daylight , but you can see the diamond get blur cause is daylight , they cant look nice

DSC_5263.jpg

then i just close the door and decrease the shutter speed and see i got good reuslt in diamond , they look nice

DSC_5272.jpg

and here some pictures i take today , i dnt get any good white background thing so i use the ring box :(

will take with good white paper background later ok ?

DSC_5277.jpg
DSC_5280.jpg
DSC_5283.jpg
DSC_5287.jpg
DSC_5289.jpg
DSC_5292.jpg

nickt

I like these better. The ones you posted yesterday drew my eye right to the blurry backside. These (except for #1) draw my eye to the ring and I want to enjoy the detail. The back edge is still just a bit blurry, but it does not distract my eyes like yesterday. Like Rick M said yesterday, the edges leading to the back should still be sharp and I think you have done that.

What did your f-stop and distance to the ring end up being for #2 and #6? (black ring and gold cross ring).

Some people did not like the black spot in the reflections, I don't have advice for the lighting and reflections. I never take pictures of shiny things like this. As a customer, the reflections wouldn't bother me. Maybe because I know they are just reflections and not flaws.

Riverside made a good point. I never thought about shooting hundreds of these. So when you are happy with the shot, make sure you can easily repeat it anytime. If you used sharpening or contrast or whatever in photoshop, you could try setting your in-camera jpg settings to do that for you automatically. Then at most you would only need to do a quick crop.